Squeir Strat.

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Squeir Strat.

Postby Bluesnote » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:57 pm

Thanks John. I was just wondering how the neck would stand the strain, it being of the cheaper variety. I once had a seven-string guitar built on an archtop jazz basis made for me. I used 12 gauge on that without any problems as the instrument was constructed to take that pressure. And it was very playable and as you said, the strings can be lowered quite a bit without too much buzz.
I may go get a set today and finish off work on the frets seeing as the weather is crap and looks like rain for the day :cry: Might as well do something constructive with it.
Hugh.
Bluesnote

Re: Squeir Strat.

Postby Bluesnote » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:13 pm

I was looking up a site about basswood for guitars and this part of it seems to hold true with my guitar. It sounds fantastic, rich, warm, clear the more I play it. The neck pickup is especially clean and clear sounding, not too much treble but more warm and jazzy sounding. I dont remember my last Jap Strat having this quality, it was really treble sounding by comparison. I havent a clue what wood they used for it but it was much thinner than the original Strats and indeed this Squier.
I recorded some stuff yesterday and I cant believe the tone when I play it back through a hi fi system. As for the video of me playing it, I'd rather not comment :o

[Basswood is a soft wood with tight grains. Its relatively inexpensive of all the usual guitar woods, and it’s easy on router bits in the factory, easy to sand, and easy to seal and finish. The softness of basswood means that sharp highs are dampened and smoothened. That helps offset the tinny sound associated with knife edged tremolo contacts. The softness also fosters a weaker low end. It’s light in weight, but not because of large pores. Rather it’s low in mass overall. Deep, breathy sub-lows aren’t resonated in Basswood. The reduction in these outer frequencies leaves the mids pronounced in a hypothetical response curve. Its very suitable for the typical guitar range, and very suitable for lead guitar, because of its pronounced “out front” sound. Complex overtones are muted along with the highs leaving a strong fundamental tone.]

I'd strongly recommend that you purchase one if you are looking for a good cheap instrument for home use. I also reckon it could be gigged too.
Hugh.
Bluesnote

Previous

Return to Gear