Flatwounds....

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Flatwounds....

Postby Bluesnote » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:31 am

roger bayliss wrote: Duane Eddy and Eddie Cochran had told of how players would buy a regular set of strings and an extra first or light banjo string, move them over one and throw away the bottom string. This opened up a whole new world to us".

When you commented on this, I remember in the sixties when Cream recorded 'Strange Brew' Clapton mentioned in either Melody Maker or one of the magazines of the time that to obtain the high bend in the solo, he used a banjo string in place of the normal first string. I started doing this after reading this story, but I'd never heard of changing all the strings and missing out the low e. But then, we already had light gauge by this time.
Hugh.
Bluesnote

Postby fenderplucker » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:31 am

I noted in the '60's" catalog posted by JimN that Fender issued all guitars at that time with "smooth round wound" strings (see attached).

I also recall that Roberto referred to a photo taken on 5th March 1961 at the Wembley Pollwinners' concert that apparently shows round wound strings on Hank's guitar. This fits with the squeaks on Blue Star (Feb 1961).

It seems to me that the only unanswered question is how far before Feb 1961 did Hank start using round wound strings, probably Gibson Sonomatics that he says they probably used and that we know were available?

Regards,

paul.
Attachments
Ashampoo_Snap_2013.02.25_15h18m58s_001_.jpg
Ashampoo_Snap_2013.02.25_15h18m58s_001_.jpg (22.64 KiB) Viewed 5649 times
fenderplucker

Full Real Name: Paul Rossiter

Postby Patrice » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Hi Paul, Hi all,

About this set of Fender strings called : "Smooth Round Wound" # 1500, and his relative scan sent by JimN (thank you Jim !) you have (may be ?) to know that:
If (yes !) this scan is taken from a 60's Fender catalogue, this particular set of Fender strings appears and is described in the 69 Fender catalogue... Never before.(I suppose that Jim will confirm the catalogue date)

So when Hank says : I NEVER used Flatwound strings on my guitar(s), I don't think so, but ! :
In my last message I asked my self about the name "Wrap" found in the description of the "Pure Nickel Wrap" Fender strings available from the factory since the end of the 50's. And a type of Fender strings that Hank might use since 1959...
The problem (if it's an problem ?!!!) is to know if, yet in the 50's, the "wrap" technic was to put, on the core of the "wound strings", a flat wrap or a round wrap ?
For my own, I can't anwser with precision to this question.
But perhaps some body on this forum knows ?
Unfortunatly the only original (in its original square box !) Fender set strings from the 50's I keep with me, is an "Master Flatwound Gold" # 60...
Then about this name "wrap", two solutions :
Or the Fender set of "Pure Nickel Strings" is "round wound wrap" (or may be and why not ! "smooth round wound)
And Hank is "right" when he says....
Or this same set of strings is "flat wound wrap".
I beleive (strong !) to this second solution, but it's just my feel...

Best regards
Patrice

P-S: Paul if you have to meet again Hank, please says hello for me. Thank you ! (Hank says sometime (like me !) silly things but we love him !)
Patrice

Full Real Name: Patrice Bastien

The situation in Manila

Postby abstamaria » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:18 am

A bit remote from the action, but let me just contribute this on the situation in Manila inthe early 1960s.

Reminded about his Gibson Les Paul (before they were called SGs). I called up Ernie Delgado, who had such a guitar in 1961 and used it hrough the mid 60s. I believe Gibson issued the model in 1961. Ernie was the lead guitarist of one of the top Shadows-style bands here in Manila, called the “Electromaniacs.” He’s seen with the guitar in this perio photo. (As an aside, that guitar was a dream for me as a teenager – I have been thinking of buying a new reissue, but what would I play with it?)

electromaniacs-1.jpg
(97.6 KiB) Downloaded 3238 times

Anyway, I asked Ernie what strings were on that guitar in the erly 60s. Unlike the others I asked before, who couldn’t remember, Ernie said his memory is very clear on the topic. His brand-new Les Paul came from the U.S. with flatwound strings. He added that flatwound was all one could get then.

I'm just adding this bit of further information to what we have.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Question #2: When did Hank change to roundwounds?

Postby abstamaria » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:13 am

fenderplucker wrote:I noted in the '60's" catalog posted by JimN that Fender issued all guitars at that time with "smooth round wound" strings (see attached).

I also recall that Roberto referred to a photo taken on 5th March 1961 at the Wembley Pollwinners' concert that apparently shows round wound strings on Hank's guitar. This fits with the squeaks on Blue Star (Feb 1961).

It seems to me that the only unanswered question is how far before Feb 1961 did Hank start using round wound strings, probably Gibson Sonomatics that he says they probably used and that we know were available?

Regards,

paul.

Yes, that's the second question, Paul. Not as easy to answer, I'm afraid.

By the way, the historical data and timelines almost make it a certainty, too, that the Shadows rosewood-fingerboard Fenders came with flatwound strings as well. They would have been delivered as shipped from the U.S.

Spike wrote about the success of Cliff's concert there, authenticity being added no doubt by your participation. I should be watching Cliff tonight; I wonder who's backing him.

Regards,

Andy
abstamaria

Postby abstamaria » Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:16 am

This thread will not be complete without this excellent video from Paul.

hqdefault.jpg
FLAT-WOUND OR ROUND WOUND STRINGS by Paul Rossiter
youtu.be
https://youtu.be/eS9S6R2bOkc
abstamaria

Previous

Return to Gear