Flatwounds....

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Flatwounds....

Postby ecca » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:18 am

Horrid dull things.
ecca

Postby cockroach » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:40 am

Joe Moretti possibly used his big blonde Guild Stratford 3 pickup job to record Scarlett O'Hara . He was pictured with this guitar often at that time.

Unlikely that Jet would have played bass on the track, if he wasn't 'available' to play the lead....maybe John Paul Jones, as he was playing bass in the band and the studio around that time.

Thank you for your comment on flatwounds ecca, it was fully expected!

Anyway, I've bought the things now, so I'll give them a try, haven't used them for many years...it will be interesting to hear and feel what they sound like.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby noelford » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:50 pm

They're definitely not dull on my Peerless Tonemaster.
noelford

Postby David Martin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:10 pm

ecca wrote:Horrid dull things.

That's because you put them on your Toneless Beermaster... :lol:

(sorry Noel... couldn't resist!)
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby JimN » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:52 am

Geoff Alderton LH wrote:I think Jim N hit the nail on the head when he says you, Justin, get the best version of THAT BASS VI SOUND on your Strat. Do you use flat's on the Strat to nail That Bass VI Sound?
Regards Geoff.

When I mentioned the sound of Justin's Strat at Shadowmania, I meant the sound on Scarlett O'Hara (which you might think of as either a Fender Jaguar or Guild Stratford sound). Definitely not the Bass VI sound.

The same sound can be heard on that Lawrence Welk video to which I provided a link in the "Hankering for" thread:

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby ecca » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:15 pm

You know how sometimes people talk the most appalling s**t on here, right ?
I just ordered some tapewound strings for my L5.
ecca

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:52 pm

Ay ay ay keep it clean!
Anyway that's tapeworm not tapewound.
Iain Purdon
site organiser
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby abstamaria » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:49 am

I have been using Thomastik Infield George Benson flatwounds on my Jazzmaster for the early Ventures (Bob Bogle) pieces and recently put the same on a Stratocaster. Very, very close sound and tone (including the nasality) to my ears to Hank's early sound. I decided to keep them on for a while and just might stick with them. They are wonderful, albeit somewhat expensive strings. Not all flatwounds sound the same. The TIs and Pyramids have the most vintage vibe and tone.

Anna has been using TI flawounds on her PBasses and of course has flatwounds on her Hofner "violin" bass. They sound really nice, IMO.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby Bojan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:28 am

I have used both Pyramid and Thomastik Infeld flatwounds on my Rickenbacker 340 and they sound fantatsic. Real vintage vibe !! Both Pyramids and TI are hand made, both are top quality, and both are quite expensive. The big difference between them is that TI are low tension and Pyramids are relatively high tension. I would say that Thomastik Infled strings are better for jazz and Pyramids are better for rock (think Beatles).

I have wanted to put pyramids on my Strat for a long time. I will do that as soon the time comes to replace my Gibson L5 roundwounds that I have now.
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:42 pm

HI all
You are correct Jim I have misread your post. I do apologize. Jet did use a Jaguar on Scarlett O'Hara and all the talk of it not being Jet playing, on the 63 Decca recording, is another Hank used a Gretch on all the early recordings story. There is no evidence at all to show that Joe M was on the record. Sound and playing style wise there is evidence it was Jet. I think we should start a new thread on the subject.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

PreviousNext

Return to Gear