Gibson L-5 guitar strings to be discontinued

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Gibson L-5 guitar strings to be discontinued

Postby MeBHank » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:54 pm

For a while now,I've been considering changing the type of strings I use on one of my Strats. I was considering trying Gibson L-5s, as many Shads players recommend them. Plus, they're one of the few types of string that match my criteria (round core, pure nickel wrap).

I've just chatted with someone at Strings Direct* who told me that Gibson are discontinuing the L-5 range of strings. I was disappointed, but probably not as disappointed as regular users of the brand will be. If you use these strings, snap up as many as you can afford to buy ASAP, because they'll probably be some of the last sets you'll be able to get your hands on. This seems to be the end of an era: Gibson will no longer be providing strings that can claim to be continuing the legacy of the legendary Sonomatics (I may be a little behind the times; if this has already been announced here, I apologise).

Regarding my personal quest: if you know of any string manufacturers that supply pure nickel guitar strings with a round core and which are readily available in this country, I'd be very glad to hear from you.

J

* Strings Direct, I've discovered, have an excellent instant messaging service which I highly recommend. In fact, Strings Direct provide great customer service all round. Today, within a minute of sending my initial message, one of their "agents" responded. As he could not immediately provide me with an answer, he took my email address and said he will contact me with some answers to my questions. Simply superb. :thumbup: :clap:
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Re: Gibson L-5 guitar strings to be discontinued

Postby JimN » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:17 pm

I agree that Strings Direct (a division of Holiday Music) is excellent.

It doesn't surprise me to hear that Gibson will discontinue their "L5" strings (a relative of the deceased Sonomatic set). They can't be selling many, and whoever makes strings for Gibson these days wants shooting anyway: they're way inferior to what they used to be.

Justin, if you want good quality sets of 13-56 (the classic Black Diamond / Gibson Sonomatic / Fender Mastersound medium gauge), I recommend you try Pyramid wirewound from http://www.thomann.de. They do a seven string set: 10/13/17p/26w/36/46/56 for about £4.00, and they're pretty good. You just bin the 10 or keep it for a spare.

If you buy ten sets at a time (perhaps supplementing with a few other cheap sets for other guitars, the 10 Euros shipping has less effect per set. You might even be able to do a multi-person order (add in a set or two of bass strings, perhaps) and spread the 10 Euros out even thinner. If you spend £170 or so, the shipping is free...

http://www.thomann.de/gb/pyramid_7_string.htm

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby MeBHank » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Jim. I'd take your advice and try a set, but I've just changed the neck on the Strat in question and the vintage frets and rounder fingerboard radius mean I daren't dream of going heavier than 0.012s. I'm even finding myself wondering if going down to 0.011s would be overly detrimental to the "vintage" tone or not.

Placing a large order for strings from overseas is certainly an option I've considered. If I decide to once again settle on Golden Sixties strings (the best sounding strings I've ever used by quite some distance) I may have to start a guitar string supply business to get the price per set down to a justifiable level!

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Postby Stratpicker » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:51 pm

Hi Justin
Golden Sixties. I ran 11s for a couple of years and they have SUPERB tone but In the end I got fed up with string breakage I think due to their higher tension than "normal" strings and the fact that they lost "that sound" too quickly.
Good luck on your hunt.
Cheers
Ian
Stratpicker

Full Real Name: Ian Plant

Postby MeBHank » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:37 am

They're exactly the reasons I stopped using them, Ian.

I think the reason the lost their tone quickly was due to the wrap wire being so thick. The grooves between the windings were deeper than normal strings, meaning that dirt lodged there far easier and was then too deep to clean out. To be honest, I quite like the dead sound of strings, especially when I'm trying to copy the sound of certain records (Hank often recorded with fairly old strings). I'm wondering whether the round cores of Golden Sixties' new "Diamond Edition" (which I've never tried) will help the tone to last a bit longer, as there should be fewer gaps between core and wrap. The extra mass may improve the rate of breakages, too. I have a set here to test, but, as I said previously, I would need to order large quantities to make the price justifiable for regular use, if I find they finally tick all the boxes.

It's such a shame Golden Sixties had/have these issues, as they sound exquisite.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Postby ecca » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:07 am

Any strings will do, they're all the same. I buy mine from anywhere, any type, car boots especially. The cheaper the better.
ecca

Postby neil2726 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:55 pm

MMMMMM on my recent visit to the Black Country I noticed a few missing cables in between telegraph poles!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Have a look at John Pearce strings sold by Stringsdirect Justin... Pure nickel wraps I believe they are roundcored. Have used them myself and they do not dull too quickly either.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby JimN » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:14 pm

I bought one set of the John Pearse strings [12s, Justin!] about two years ago, intending to evaluate them.

I eventually put them onto my Gibson ES335 over a year ago - and they are still very lively and bright. On the other hand, the 335 isn't a guitar I play every day.

Can't remember what I paid, but they'd be good value at any typical price.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby MeBHank » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Thanks Roger, thanks Jim. I'll give them a try. Before starting this search I didn't realise pure nickel strings with round cores were such rare animals.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Next

Return to Gear