Brian Bennet Tutorial

For anything to do with drums, percussion and drummers

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Brian Bennet Tutorial

Postby jimuc » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:41 pm

Hi all you drummers out there.
I have a friend who has just taken up drumming, he is looking for a book which is a tutorial by BB on drumming Shadows tunes.
Any help or information would be gratefully received.
Many Thanks,
Jim
Never nail a door shut that you may want to go back through
jimuc

Full Real Name: Jim Dunlop

Re: Brian Bennet Tutorial

Postby jimuc » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks Phil,

That is most helpful, will pass this on to my friend.

I must agree watching and listening is the best tutorial you will get.

Cheers JIM
Never nail a door shut that you may want to go back through
jimuc

Full Real Name: Jim Dunlop

Postby drakula63 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:31 pm

Ludwig wrote:Hi Jim,

Brian Bennett was involved with 3 drum tutor books back in the Sixties:

1) "Drum Tutor"
Published in 1963, with yellow cover, by The Shadows Music Ltd. and Belinda (London) Ltd.
Revised in 1964 and republished, with additional exercises, with a pink cover.

2) "Guide To Teen-Beat Drumming"
Written in association with Bruce Gaylor in 1964 and published by The Shadows Music Ltd. and Belinda (London) Ltd.

3) "The Mersey Beat - A Supplement To A Guide To Teen-Beat Drumming"
Written in association with Bruce Gaylor in 1964 and published by The Shadows Music Ltd. and Belinda (London) Ltd.

I would suggest these tutors are probably only really of interest to collectors.

Watching and listening to the recent high quality dvd recordings of Brian Bennett, with Cliff Richard & The Shadows, gives drummers perhaps the best tutorial as to how he played Shadows' tunes.

Regards,
Phil Jarvis

Brian has a very low opinion of the books himself. I have a couple of them (1 and 2 above) and I really bought them as collectors pieces. Worth having, but Phil's advice above is probably better.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby roninnes » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:59 pm

Have to echo the advice given. Over the years I have learned more by listening to the recordings than any book could have provided. Tell your friend to listen to the melody but to concentrate on the drum patterns and he will soon pick them up.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby Pol » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:24 am

Brian has a very low opinion of the books himself. I have a couple of them (1 and 2 above) and I really bought them as collectors pieces. Worth having, but Phil's advice above is probably better.[/quote]

Brian was also involved in a book, "Drums and drumming to-day", published in 1964 by Boosey & Hawkes (Sales) LTD edited By Sam Norton and Ken Spacey.

Author quote : "In the following pages you will find articles by men who are tops in their own particular field. They know what they are talking about and can prove it. You will no doubt disagree with some of the remarks, but then if you had written it, someone would disagree. My colleaugues and I have done our utmost to make this book interesting and useful"

The 115 page book has 28 articles , with lots of photographs. Brian`s three page contribution is titled"The beat drummer"

Quote: "During the past year I have written a tutor designed for the pop drummer, and, apart from exercises, I have included in it some of the drum parts of our records, which I sincerely hope will be helpful and interesting"

I`we had my copy for 49 years, maybe a collectors piece now but still very enjoyable to browse through.

Cheers, Pol
Pol

Return to Drums and Drummers