Tony's drum technique

Anything to do with drums, percussion and drummers

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Tony's drum technique

Postby pjk47 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:17 am

Did Tony use paraddidle's (spelling?) in "See You In My drums"? Or in Wonderful Land? Cheers, PJK. And does anyone have a transcription of the drumming in the original Apache?? Or for that matter, any transcription of Tony's drumming? Cheers, PJK.
Last edited by pjk47 on Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pjk47

Re: Tony's drum technique

Postby roninnes » Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Just listened to See you in my drums again, and I would say no just an amazing hand speed. He does a couple of rolls which technically are very fast paradiddles.
Likewise in Wonderful Land I do not hear any paradiddles.

However everyone hears different things so lets hear from some other drummers.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby Paul Creasey » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:37 pm

Right, Left, Right,Right, Left, Right, Left, Left..........etc etc.
Totally ingrained in my memory from over 50 years ago, when I started out as a Drummer in the local Air Training Corps Drum & Bugle Band.
Couldn't do it then, and STILL can't (Honest Drummer, see! ;) ).
My biggest regret, Drumming wise, is never having concentrated enough on "The Rudiments"!! :oops:
I remain totally in awe of those Drummers with impeccable technique - Tony, Brian, Buddy, Joe Morello etc etc.
As-to whether Tony WAS doing paradiddles, I can't be sure - but he always sounded GREAT!
Regards
Paul
Paul Creasey

Postby robin_drums » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:05 pm

Hi all I was hoping to see some more comments from those more proficient than myself. In my opinion I don't hear any paradiddles in See You In My Drums. It was this solo I used to listen to over and over again as a thirteen year old trying to learn to play drums. I used to marvel at the first compressed/double stoke roll that was so smooth, right from the start of it. I still do marvel at this roll. His control was impeccable. I wish there was video footage of this solo. I'd have loved to see him playing it.

There must be many other drummers with opinions on Tony's technique. Please do aire them. I'd be very interested to hear them.
robin_drums

Postby roninnes » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:14 pm

I have a number of pieces of footage of Tony regretably none of See you in my Drums or Wonderful Land.
The one thing that sticks (no pun honestly) is his hand speed in conjunction with his ability to skip over the toms and snare yet leaving a suitable imprint to create the sound we know and love.

I have noticed that Brian has that same speed especially in the left hand. If you look at footage of Buddy Rich, Joe Morello, etc you will see this same hand speed, also how they use the bounce off the head to gain a little bit more.

I guess all the above were and are professional and much as we try we at best are semi pro and have day jobs which get in the way of practice. I notice that when my band is playing back to back weekends my hand speed is better, I getter better response and I guess this is down to playing more.

So its back to the practice pad.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby Paul Creasey » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:33 am

I'm sure - No, I KNOW - you're right, Ron!
SWMBO and me are friendly with an American Delta Blues Singer/Guitarist who tours UK frequently. He has an especially agressive playing style and has always said that, if he takes a break from playing for even a day, his technique deteriorates significantly.
Not Drumming, I know, but I feel sure that the same basic principle applies.
I seem to recall that the late, great, Karen Carpenter - no mean Drummer herself - said that the secret of her success was "practice - Practice - PRACTICE.....and then EVEN MORE Practice!!"
I know one has to be careful on a Forum peopled mainly by Guitarists, but it often (No - ALWAYS!) makes me smile when I see the string-twangers (even "Our Kid" from time-to-time) go-on about the technicalities (even the COLOUR!) of their equipment. Speaking personally, I'd be MORE than overjoyed if I had the technique to get even 20% of the potential out of my old (Classic?), well-used, and well-loved Premier Drum Kit!
Ah well! - we've got a Gig tonight, so yet another opportunity to confound the great British public - and myself - with my "developing" technique (NOT)!
Regards
Paul
Paul Creasey

Postby Tony Szpala » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:08 pm

Paul

I have a copy of the drums part to Apache - which is claimed to be a transcription from the original.
Although I can read Lead, rhythm and Bass parts quite well (and have transcribed these parts occassionally from record) I haven't
the experience and knowledge to comment with authority on drum music.
Contact me by email if you are interested in seeing the transcription.

Best Wishes

Tony
Tony Szpala

Location: Ripley, Derbyshire email address: tony.szpala@hotmail.com
Full Real Name: Tony Szpala

Postby Paul Creasey » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:54 pm

Thanks, Tony!

..................but in the "knowledge and experience to comment" department, I'm afraid to admit - neither have I :oops:
Not only am I "only a Drummer", I'm also very much a "belt & braces" Drummer who relies only on instinct to get me through a number. Perhaps that's why I've never been put-off, or offended, by those "Drummer" jokes - because in MY case, most of 'em are TRUE! :lol:
I DID take heart last night, though. Me and SWMBO watched a programme we recorded last week about the making of (the GREAT) Dame Shirley Bassey's latest studio recording - her first one in over 20 years I think!
In it, she, too, admitted not being "a reader" (although she DID have loads of music spread-out on her MD's piano!) and relying on her instinct with a song. I'd not DARE to claim as much "instinct" as D S B - but it does perhaps show how far instinct can take a musician!

Regards
Paul

P.S. ...........and who'll be brave enough to deny D S B's status as a "Musician", eh?
Paul Creasey

Postby Tony Szpala » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:58 am

Paul

I agree wholeheartedly with you on musicians, musicianship (I believe that there is such a word!) and the ability to read music or otherwise.
There are some fabulous musicians out there who can't read a note (or at least struggle to!). Given the choice between being able to read music well and playing like Django Reinhardt, then I would prefer to be totally illiterate (from a music reading point of view at least!!).

Best Wishes

Tony
Tony Szpala

Location: Ripley, Derbyshire email address: tony.szpala@hotmail.com
Full Real Name: Tony Szpala

Postby Moderne » Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:43 am

I don't play drums at all so can't comment on paradiddles etc. unfortunately. However, admirers of Tony Meehan's formidable technique ought not to overlook early Cliff B-sides, LP tracks etc. - just as a recent thread was set up regarding Hank's best solos on Cliff records. Songs such as Apron Strings, Dynamite and Without You (21 Today LP) are just as impressive from a drumming point of view as Frightened City, Kon-Tiki etc.

Clive
Moderne

Full Real Name: Clive Webb

Next

Return to Drums and Drummers