Tony's drum technique

Anything to do with drums, percussion and drummers

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Tony's drum technique

Postby pjk47 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:30 am

To my ears, Tony's technique is better than any other rock drummers I've heard. Tony uses the bass drum sparingly, so when its used it has real impact - as opposed to the heavy persistent bass drum pattern used by other drummers (including BB - sorry), which I find tiresome and ultimately boring. Also, Tony uses cymbals to maximum effect - they swell in sound (wonderful) rather than having the living daylights beaten out of them (short sound splash - if you can even hear it!). What do others think? Cheers, Pete.
pjk47

Postby roninnes » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:54 pm

Totally agree, just listen to early Cliff albums and The Shadows first album to appreciate the skill of the man.
And there is always Quatermaster's Store.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby des mcneill » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:09 am

I'm just a lowly bass player,but to me there was always an "edge" to Tony's playing which made it stand out,to me he was the best.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby pjk47 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:38 am

Clive - I could not agree more. What fascinates me is where did Tony got his style from. All the drummers (IMHO) before him had the Big Band style. But his style in 1959 was different. So...............?? Did he just make it up? Pete.
pjk47

Postby roninnes » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:33 pm

According to Tony in "The Shadows by Themselves" book he says he watch a drummer called George Fierston who "had his own series, own band and everything." Tony says he watched every show utterly fascinated.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Postby roninnes » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:38 pm

Looked George on Google and there is a bit of info about him.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Postby pjk47 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:30 am

Anyone know what cymbals Tony used? I think he said that the quality of the cymbals is as important as the drums themselves. For those of us who were around during his heyday I reckon we are all very lucky - a true legend.
pjk47

Postby Tab » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:38 am

I'm not a drummer, but I have been listening again to some of the early Cliff Albums (Me And My Shadows, Cliff Sings, The Young Ones etc) re post #10 and Tony and Jet together demonstrate sheer genius in the Rhythm section. Although a guitarist, I am becoming increasingly more convinced that these two are the main contributors to 'That Sound' - certainly much more than their 50%!
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby robin_drums » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:13 pm

pjk47 wrote:Anyone know what cymbals Tony used? I think he said that the quality of the cymbals is as important as the drums themselves. For those of us who were around during his heyday I reckon we are all very lucky - a true legend.

I think that I read somewhere, probably in ''The Shadows'' by Themselves, that Tony stated that it was more important to have good cymbals, as good as you could afford, because drums at least you could tune. I would totally agree with this comment. He had I believe Avedis Zildjian cymbals, and at that time I would have thought that they were pretty rare in England. Certainly very expensive. At that time I think Zyn and Super Zyn were the quality cymbals that were available most readily.
My first Drum Tutor book, which I got in about 1962 was written by Jack Parnell, had an advert on the back for Ajax drums with Zyn cymbals as played by him and used for the ‘Command Performance’.

We have read about Brian Bennett's various drums from his white Olympic bass drum and snare drum, but what did Tony start with. How did he get the white Ajax drums with realy good cymbals, as above? Who paid for them I wonder? Were they on H.P. or I wonder if The Shadows had a fund by then to buy better instruments. The same goes for the champagne sparkle Gretch kit that I first saw in the film The Young Ones. I wonder what the story is behind that set.
robin_drums

Postby roninnes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:33 pm

Right back to The Shadows by Themselves.

Tony's first kit, unknown make, was bought by his mother for £40.00 a lot of money back then.
At the time this book was written Tony had his Gretsch kit and his cymbals were Avedis Zildjian 20"; 18" and 15 " hi hats

Ron
Ron
roninnes

PreviousNext

Return to Drums and Drummers