Tony's drum technique

Anything to do with drums, percussion and drummers

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Tony's drum technique

Postby pjk47 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:55 am

Ron,do you know the cost of that Grestch kit in today's money? I suspect Grestch, Fender, Vox and Meazzi were supplying the Shads equipment free very soon after Apache. I know from family history that Vox and Fender were doing this for the band that eventually became the Move. Pete.
pjk47

Postby EJK » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Tab wrote:I'm not a drummer, but I have been listening again to some of the early Cliff Albums (Me And My Shadows, Cliff Sings, The Young Ones etc) re post #10 and Tony and Jet together demonstrate sheer genius in the Rhythm section. Although a guitarist, I am becoming increasingly more convinced that these two are the main contributors to 'That Sound' - certainly much more than their 50%!

Spot on!

Just listen to YouTube tracks with the Harris/Meehan rythym section to appreciate just how great they were.
EJK

Full Real Name: Eric Kidd

Postby roninnes » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:05 am

Totally agree with Phil on the drums.

It would be difficult to price Tony's kit in todays terms as Gretsch are producing various levels but have a feeling that £1500 - 2000 wouldn't be far out as this is what American made Ludwigs cost and they are similar.
What do you thinkl Phil?

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby robin_drums » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:17 am

Another bit of trivia - I always just thought the same drum kit was used throughout the "Young Ones" film. When I watched the film on DVD I realised Tony's Gretsch kit is only used by him - the other youth club shots use a Premier kit of a similar finish.

Regards,
Phil.[/quote]

How interesting -- so in the youth club it was a Premier kit Tony played ?? I never noticed that -- I will have to try to see that film again --
robin_drums

Postby JimN » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:18 am

Ludwig wrote:(re: The Young Ones" film) Tony plays his Gretsch kit in the film all the time. It is the drums that he doesn't play which are Premier.
Regards,
Phil.

This was probably because the filming of production numbers like All For One (the song in which gold-sparkle drums feature prominently, though The Shadows are absent) didn't require the group, who were therefore working somewhere else - and in need and possession of their equipment.

JN
Last edited by JimN on Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby robin_drums » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:51 am

Ludwig wrote:
robin_drums wrote:Another bit of trivia - I always just thought the same drum kit was used throughout the "Young Ones" film. When I watched the film on DVD I realised Tony's Gretsch kit is only used by him - the other youth club shots use a Premier kit of a similar finish.

Regards,
Phil.

How interesting -- so in the youth club it was a Premier kit Tony played ?? I never noticed that -- I will have to try to see that film again --

No - Tony plays his Gretsch kit in the film all the time. It is the drums that he doesn't play which are Premier.
Regards,
Phil.[/quote]

Phil sorry to be so slow -- i'm with you now -- i'll still have to try to see that film again --
Cheers Robin
robin_drums

Postby pjk47 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:11 am

Here's the hard question (I think) - where did Tony get his "dum didi dum dum" riff from - I don't recall ever hearing it before the Shads. Pete47.
pjk47

Postby JimN » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:24 am

pjk47 wrote:Here's the hard question (I think) - where did Tony get his "dum didi dum dum" riff from - I don't recall ever hearing it before the Shads. Pete47.

Taking that literally, it sounds like the first half of the drum figure known almost universally as the "Bo Diddley Beat". Although Bo "invented" it, it was also used by others, including Johnny Otis.

So... will you take my assurance that the "dum didid dum dum" figure came from... Bo Diddley and Johnny Otis (not to mention Buddy Holly and Jerry Allison, who used it on Not Fade Away in 1958)?

HTH,

JN

PS: The best use of the Bo Diddley Beat I ever heard was on the record Game Of Love by Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders (1965).
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby pjk47 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:40 am

Thanks for the info Jim. I've always rated WF & Mindbenders very highly - especially the outstanding drummer. I just listened to Apache without rhythm guitar on Sound Files - it really lifted the lid for me on the drumming. I was amazed at the inventive bass drum work. Pete 47.
pjk47

Postby pjk47 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:43 am

Oh, and yes, I accept your assurance without question - Bo D was brilliant wasn't he! And Otis of course. Lot of special performers in those days. Pete.
pjk47

PreviousNext

Return to Drums and Drummers