Tony's drum technique

Anything to do with drums, percussion and drummers

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Tony's drum technique

Postby pjk47 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:27 am

I assume Tony developed his technique as a regular drummer at the 2I's. Does anyone know what age he started at the 2I's. Also are there any recordings of Tony's playing before he joined the Drifters? Pete J K.
pjk47

Postby roninnes » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:50 pm

If memory serves me he was 16 when he started

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby Derek Mowbray » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:46 pm

Tony would have only been fifteen when he joined The Drifters in early 1959,I think that he played drums for The Vipers in 1958 along with Jet Harris,he could be on Summertime Blues and the other side Liverpool Blues.
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

Postby pjk47 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:43 am

Derek - do you have/know of any recordings of the Vipers? Cheers, Pete JK.
pjk47

Postby JimN » Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:30 pm

Derek Mowbray wrote:Tony would have only been fifteen when he joined The Drifters in early 1959,I think that he played drums for The Vipers in 1958 along with Jet Harris,he could be on Summertime Blues and the other side Liverpool Blues.

The official version is that Jet and Tony are on the Vipers' recordings of Liverpool Blues and Summertime Blues. These were the duo's first commercial recording sessions and as important to the history of The Shadows as the Chesternuts' Teenage Love and Jean Dorothy.

Both tracks are newly available on a very reasonably-priced double-CD of The Vipers' complete catalogue:

"Don't You Rock Me Daddy-O" - The Vipers Skiffle Group - CDx2
DeltaLeisure/Performance 38306 (UK; 2009).

See: http://www.deltaleisuregroup.co.uk

http://www.deltamusic.co.uk/cd-product-details.php?delta_product_id=2015&delta_search=Vipers&type=1

JN

{who suspects that Delta Leisure are taking advantage of the UK's fifty-year copyright expiry law in issuing that and other CDs in their roster)
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:02 pm

I don't understand the technical side of drumming, but I know what is good and what isn't. Tony was absolutely exceptional at the tender age of 16, as was Brian Bennett. It may be because rock & roll was in it's infancy here in Britain and the jazz and big band influences are part of their make up. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby pjk47 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:36 pm

Dave, I'm sure you've hit the nail on the head there. As you are a professional musician have you ever encountered a rock drummer with similar style/talent as BB or TM? I never have. I've listened to a few versions of See You in My Drums on youtube (not convincing, but the acoustics may not have helped) and found nothing on Little B (maybe its too hard!). I'd really like to believe that someone out there has taken the baton handed by the two outstanding drummers. Pete J K.
pjk47

Postby roninnes » Sat May 15, 2010 8:06 pm

The closest I have ever heard See you in my Drums was at Shadowmania played by the Rapiers drummer, John Tuck.
Even Brian was applauding and nodding approval.

I have watched and listened to many versions of Little B but nobody comes close.

As a drummer in a Shads tribute band I play Big B - much easier.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby Steve Parish » Sat May 15, 2010 10:52 pm

Ron, I agree John Tuck has 'See You In My Drums' down to a tee! However, for me, one drummer HAS nailed and accurately replicated the 'studio version' of the masterpiece we drummers know and love as 'Little B'... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtj99ItoTyw
What do you think?
Steve Parish

Previous

Return to Drums and Drummers