Parallel Action Snare Mechanisms

Anything to do with drums, percussion and drummers

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Parallel Action Snare Mechanisms

Postby robin_drums » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:02 am

Hi Ron
I really wanted Premier as well. They were the bees knees. (Do bees have knees)
You talk about your first kit. My first was just an Olympic snare drum,which I wish I still had because the finish was excellent. It was a sort of bronze/champagne sparkle with undertones of silver sparkle as well. Most unusual. This was then built into a set with a Broadway bass drum and one mounted small tom in red with a gold pattern,a hi-hat with Kamala cymbals and one other cymbal. It got me started.
I still wanted a Premier kit but it wasn't until some years later that I managed to buy the Premier kit I was talking about previously.

Ron you have so many snare drums. I think everytime I played your drums you had a different snare drum set up. All very good but I don't think I remember a Premier one. How many snare drums is it that you have, before Father Chrismas brings you another one in 2 weeks time??????

Cheers all
and a Happy Christmas to all
Robin
robin_drums

Postby Paul Creasey » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:08 pm

A bit of an update on my 1960's Premier Royal Ace Snare Drum restoration project:
Not much to actually SEE yet (as SWMBO keeps reminding me!) - my bench is still littered with snare drum bits and pieces - but some policy decisions have had to be made!
A wrap to match (or even reasonably equate-to) the rest of my Kit is simply not obtainable anymore, so once I've got the birch shell cleaned-up, it'll be laquered. If I can find one of those coloured wood stains that allow the grain to show through, I'll use that. Otherwise, I'll get some "solid colour" paint mixed to match the old Premier Military Red.
The few original "Art Deco" tension lugs that came with the drum have "metal fatigue" cracks in them - apparently a common problem with them - but MAY still be serviceable. However, obtaining the four more that I need - in good condition - is proving to be very difficult. As a result of all this, I've decided to replace the "Art Deco" lugs with the slightly later (and much more serviceable/durable) 2000-style "pointy" lugs. The issue of replacement snares remains outstanding. I'm banking on Mike Ellis at Baskey Vintage producing some "replica" Royal Ace snares.
I realise that the foregoing will result in a Snare Drum that is not "correct" for it's period, but I AM wanting a drum to PLAY, and not simply an ornament/"investment" - and, hey! - compared with the modifications done to a lot of (most?) Stratocasters, what I'm doing to my Royal Ace is pretty tame stuff!
Regards
Paul
Paul Creasey

Postby roninnes » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:00 pm

Continued success with the project and post piccies when suitable.

Most hardware places sell the type of stain you are seeking, whether you can match the colour may be more of a challenge.
Ronseal seem to do a reasonable selection.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby tomtomdavehull » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi Paul, I own a Royal Ace snare Black Pearl drum with such mechanism which is Part of my Premier '58' kit which I bought in 1963. If you would like to see the sanre drum I'll bring it along to the next Scarborough meeting your attending. As with all my drums I've taken great care of it.

Good luck with the restoration

Regards Dave Harrison
tomtomdavehull

Postby Paul Creasey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:27 pm

Cheers, Dave!
Now that sounds like a GREAT idea!!
I probably won't be at Scarborough on 14 March - we fly to Malta the following day - but hope to be at York this coming Sunday.
If you're planning to go there again, it'd be great to see your '58 Royal Ace.
Hope Carol is feeling a bit better now - give her a big hug from me, will you?
Regards
Paul
Paul Creasey

Postby mikeellis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:21 pm

FYI - Baskey Vintage have just launched retro fit wires for Royal Ace snare drums and 2000 (+ derivatives). The RA wires are twin 10s and the 2000 (Flobeam) wires are twin 12s, the wires are hand made in the UK from Helicoil compression springs that are manufactured in the UK from High Tensile BS5216 Carbon Spring steel on the very latest CNC spring coiler to British Standard tolerances from material also sourced in the UK. They are then zinc plated and passivated. Available direct or on the Bay of E!
mikeellis

Postby Paul Creasey » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:27 pm

Hello Mike, and welcome to this forum!
We have exchanged eMails in the past about some issues in connection with my "restoration" and I spotted your retro fit snare wires on the Mike Dolbear forum. I'm pleased (even relieved!) to know that they are now available. I'll be in touch with you as and when other work has been completed on my Royal Ace.
Regards
Paul
Paul Creasey

Postby Paul Creasey » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:18 pm

Well, I spent a happy couple of hours on my Royal Ace restoration project yesterday afternoon - my bench is in the garage, it was the coollest place on a hot Thursday afternoon, and that's where my "beer fridge" is located, too!
I'd seen Dave & Carol Harrison at our gig in Warsop earlier in the week, and Dave had been asking about progress with the Royal Ace. I have to admit that the project had been very much on "the back burner" for quite a while, but Dave's enquiry got me going again - thanks Dave!
I thoroughly cleaned all of the parallel action components, fitted some new fulcrum screws, and after a bit of "fiddling" managed to get it all assembled again. I was glad (relieved!) to find that it all worked well, enabling me to justify further expenditure on a wrap, new Snare Wires from Mike Ellis, etc etc.
After much dithering, I've decided to re-wrap it, rather than stain/laquer it - and lo and behold, a nice piece of red pearl wrap appeared on eBay, and is now on the way. Here's a photo of the Drum, loosely assembled with the 2000-series lugs, as it currently stands.

DCP_3013.JPG

The Birch shell, with Beech reinforcing rings, took quite a lot of elbow grease to tidy it up - and the snare-side reinforcing ring needed re-gluing into the shell - but it hasn't been possible to remove all traces of earlier suspected water damage. This was a factor in deciding to re-wrap the drum, and the red pearl should blend-in nicely with the Military Red of my Elite kit. I've yet to work on the cast hoops, but have the option of using those from my Hi Fi Snare if I need-to.
I'm hoping to be bashing the Royal Ace soon, and will post a pic when it's finished.
Regards
Paul
Paul Creasey

Postby roninnes » Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:40 pm

Well done Paul, looks like you are making good progress.
Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby Paul Creasey » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks Ron!

Well, the Royal Ace is now finished :D . The wrap went on without any drama, and looks GREAT!
The final item was the Double Ten snares, which right from the start were going to be the limiting factor. Anyroadup, I ordered some from Mike Ellis at Baskey Vintage :thumbup: , and they arrived, quite literally, "post haste", whilst I was loading the Kit ready for our West Bridgford gig tonight. The snares went straight on, and after a quick tune-up I decided to load the Royal Ace along with my Hi-Fi and give it a "go" tonight.
I'll doubtless go through a phase of fine tuning (if the rest of my Kit is any indication, this could last five years!! :crazy: ), but early indications are good.
It certainly LOOKS the business!
Sorry, no time for photos just now, but I'll get some done as soon as I can.

Regards
Paul
Paul Creasey

PreviousNext

Return to Drums and Drummers