Parallel Action Snare Mechanisms

Anything to do with drums, percussion and drummers

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Parallel Action Snare Mechanisms

Postby Paul Creasey » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:11 pm

Starting-out as a Drummer over 50 years ago, I was always in awe of the "Premier" brand, but could never afford one of their Leicester-built Kits. The "holy grail" at that time were the Super4, Super Ace, and Royal Ace Snare Drums with parallel snare mechanisms. These were superceded in the mid-'60's by the legendary "2000" series.
Anyroadup, I've recently acquired a very tatty (14" x 6" Wooden Shell '63-'66-ish) Royal Ace which I'm hoping to restore. Mike Ellis at Baskey Vintage has been very helpful, and I'm now fairly certain that, over time, I'll be able to source the various bits & pieces I'll need to bring the Drum back into use.
I could be wrong (as SWMBO says "I was - ONCE"!!) but parallel action seems to have fallen out of favour in modern times in all but "Marching" Snare Drums.
Does anyone know if Premier (perhaps as part of their "Modern Classic" range) or any other current Drum
Manufacturer has persevered with this type of snare mech? Also, if any Shadow Music Drummers use a parallel mech Drum, what do you think of it?
Regards
Paul
Paul Creasey

Re: Parallel Action Snare Mechanisms

Postby Paul Creasey » Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:59 pm

Cheers Phil,
Have you any personal experience of the earlier Parallel Action Snare Drums?
Regards
Paul
Paul Creasey

Postby RayL » Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:22 am

What is Parallel Action? Is the snare lifted from the head at both ends whereas other forms of action only lift one end? Or is it something else? How many types of action are there? What is the difference between them? Is it an audible difference or for the convenience of the player?

Ray
(Just interested)
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby roninnes » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:39 pm

Ray,
The parallel action is exactly what it says on the tin.
The snare raises and falls parallel to the snare head in one movement as opposed to the convential snare which is drawn from one side only.

Paul, if you Google Premier drums spares or vintage you may find sources for parts including Premier themselves.
Then there is EBay.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby Paul Creasey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:42 am

Thanks for your responses, Folks! :thumbup:

Ron, - the main "Spares" difficulty appears to be the Royal Ace Snares. Unlike the "2000", the Royal Ace "Double Ten" snares attach via horizontal screws rather than the later "Levelling" Screws. Puresound do 'em, but at a price - and as you know I'm very much a "subsistence" Drummer! :crazy: However, Mike Ellis tells me that Baskey Vintage are in process of producing some replica Double Tens, so as I've got A LOT of work to do to this drum, will wait until they are available.
I've already got some suitable other spares on my eBay Watch List, although I'll guess that Mike Ellis may well be one of the other bidders on these!! :eh:

Certainly, these Parallel Action Snare Drums seem to be highly sought-after - I just hope that the sound proves worth the effort!

Did any other manufacturer make Parallel Action Snares, or was is just a Premier Fad and/or Patent?

Regards
Paul

P.S...........Drummers going-on about "technicalities" - whatever next??!! :wtf:
Paul Creasey

Postby petercreasey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:52 am

Steady Paul Don't get TOO Technical :wtf:
Peter

You don't stop playing when you grow old
You grow old when you stop playing
petercreasey

Full Real Name: Peter Creasey

Postby Paul Creasey » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:51 pm

BUG**ER.................The box of assorted spares "went" on eBay this afternoon for nearly as much as I paid for the WHOLE Drum!!
Ho Hum!.............IF Mike Ellis won 'em, he'll no doubt be emailing me to offer the bits I need!
Regards
Paul.
Paul Creasey

Postby robin_drums » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:56 pm

Hi Paul

I have a Premier wooden snare drum from the 60's. 14'' X 5 1/2'' in black marine pearl. I bought it as part of a 4 piece Premier kit back in 1975 ish. Unfortuneately the parallell snare mechanisim,with a previous owner, had been broken and it was altered so that the snare mechanism was a conventional throw off system. I still thought it was a great set, which I still have. When we gig I always take this snare as a spare incase of problems. In fact if you read the magazine RHYTHM they have an article each month on vintage kits and a kit identical to mine was featured a few months back. Keep the info coming on how you get on with restoring your drum.
I'm still a great fan of Premier and now I also have a Genista kit.

Cheers Robin
robin_drums

Postby Paul Creasey » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:18 pm

Cheers Robin!
It's a "long term" project, so don't hold your breath, but - Yes - I'll let you know how it proceeds.
It needs a re-wrap (it was originally Aquamarine Sparkle - badly over-painted), and I'd like to do it in Premier "J" Military Red to match my Elite Kit. I'm told I might have a problem as the firm that produced all Premier wraps has gone out of business! I've been toying with a complete re-wrap for my Kit, so that might just be an option to consider.
I suspect that quite a few of the early (pre Premier 2000) parallel action snare drums have been converted to a conventional throw-off, but I'll persevere as long as funds/replacement parts allow. In fact, the Snare Drum with my Elite Kit has all the drillings and slots for a parallel action mechanism under the wrap - I'm not sure if this indicates a "converted" drum shell, or whether it was Premier "using-up" ready made shells from another model - as I'm told that they frequently did with all components, thus causing the well-known difficulties in "dating" Prem Drums!!
Regards
Paul
Paul Creasey

Postby roninnes » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:45 pm

Premier are always going to have a special place in many drummers heart as they were the one we all wanted and got, sometimes it had to be Olympic, and I remember my first kit which I cherished.

I have a Premier 14x5.5 metal snare and with an Ambassador batter head and Diplomat hazy sounds great for it's age (guesstimate mid 60's). Standard throwoff and I use a moongel on the batter which flattens the sound a little, I think Robin played it one meeting in St Neots.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Next

Return to Drums and Drummers