China/Trash Cymbals - why?

For anything to do with drums, percussion and drummers

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

China/Trash Cymbals - why?

Postby suspend6 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:52 am

I see on The Final Reunion DVD that Brian occasionally uses a China or Trash cymbal of some sort. On listening to the sound put out by these types of cymbals, I often wonder why they are used. In the main, they sound like a piece of roofing iron being bashed with a lump of wood. There must be some mileage in them as even the high-end makers (eg Zildjian) produce a variety of models and sizes.
suspend6

Full Real Name: Phil Kirby

Re: China/Trash Cymbals - why?

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:13 am

They are largely used for special effect or sudden stops in the music.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby martcaster » Mon Jul 05, 2021 12:07 pm

The history of cymbals in modern music is quite fascinating (if you're a drummer). I would equate it with the history of the electric guitar. Brian Bennett has been an innovator (amongst others) in the use of different types of cymbal; notably in the mid sixties his use of the 6" splash cymbal. He uses the 'China' cymbal judiciously on various recordings, and they never seem out of place or jarring (to me). It's simply a matter of the right tool for the job, and in the right hands is as good as any other tool. (In my opinion)
martcaster

Full Real Name: Martin Verrill

Postby drakula63 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:21 pm

I used to have a fantastic China Crash cymbal, a Zildjian China Boy. What a sound. I used to use it sparingly, often just after I'd hit the normal Crash and usually in conjunction with the snare and not the bass drum. It cost me about £200 in 1992 and I flogged it for just £50 a few years later. I'll admit that in using it I was influenced by Graham Jarvis from Cliff's band. I tried not to use it as I would a crash (on the beat as it were), but as a kind of follow-up. Anyway...

Here I am using it at the 4 second mark and again at 1:20, 2:20, etc.. etc... etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tobuaFdHgI

P.S. Brian uses a China quite prominently here and there on the 'Live at the Paris Olympia' album from 1975.
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Postby suspend6 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:02 am

Thank you Drakula. Just out of interest, why does a drummers avatar show a guitar player?
suspend6

Full Real Name: Phil Kirby

Postby drakula63 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:16 am

suspend6 wrote:Thank you Drakula. Just out of interest, why does a drummers avatar show a guitar player?

Good question. That avatar pic was taken in July 1979 and it just felt right for a 'Shadows' forum. That's me pretending to be Bruce Welch. It was a great day and I like to be reminded of it. I'm holding a Strat copy which I loved. I loved that jacket too! Where they are now, I shall never know. I can't see myself using any other pic as an avatar for this site, although I have a feeling that I have posted pics of me in the past playing the drums. Standing just behind my right elbow is my dear friend Garrie, who died exactly 20 years ago. Another reason for using this pic. Garrie, by the way, met both Hank and Bruce in 1980 after a Shadows gig in Southport. He got their autographs on the programme and managed to get the 'Change of Address' display from the theatre foyer! As I say, great days.

I should add that later in 1979 - or it may have been 1980 - I actually got an acoustic guitar with the intention of learning to play. I learned three chords and gave up. I found hitting things to be much easier... and it came naturally to me. So that pic of me - in pseudo Bruce/Hank/Cliff mode - is the only one I can find of myself with a guitar!
drakula63

Full Real Name: Chris Drake

Return to Drums and Drummers