Brian Bennett's sound on the new album

Anything to do with drums, percussion and drummers

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Brian Bennett's sound on the new album

Postby Steve Parish » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:21 am

Bachelor Boy is cool... but the first one that really gets me is his performance on Nine Times Out Of Ten... awesome! C'mon Everybody is sublime! Willie And The Handjive is absolutely first class... real funky stuff... I busted out that groove tonight for the drum soundcheck and the rest of the band said something like 'That's great... what's that?!!'... Gee Whiz It's You is another cracker... In The Country.. I honestly think overall that the drum sound is top rate; and if I thought it was crap I'd say so; but it's GREAT! Infact, the Shads in general on this album sound outstanding... guitars, drums, backing vocals... superb!
Bring on the 23rd Oct!!!!
Nice!
Steve Parish

Re: Brian Bennett's sound on the new album

Postby Steve Parish » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:31 am

And for a punky rock n roll binge drinking drummer, I think 'The Next Time' sounds beautiful! A fine performance all round.. and 'Please Don't Tease' is cool for my Mum and Dad's 45th Wedding Anniversary one of my Dad's fave songs! BRILLIANT! My Mum loves the rendition of 'Sea Cruise' by the way!!!!!
From,
A very happy and content Shads fan!
Steve Parish

Postby roninnes » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:01 pm

Steve,
I agree with what you say that BB sounds as good as ever on the new album.
Couple of things I do not like - the new opening for Do You Wanna Dance, I always thought the BB opening was neat and BB has simplified some of his drumming, not so many twiddley bits. This may be sign of maturity, which we all experience, but overall a good album with BB showing why he is still the master.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby shadhasher » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:36 pm

steve
if you haven`t already been to a cliff shadows concert you are in for a treat,brians kit sounds fantastic on all the rockier tracks the opening number is terrific.
shadhasher

Postby Steve Parish » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:52 am

shadhasher wrote:steve
if you haven`t already been to a cliff shadows concert you are in for a treat,brians kit sounds fantastic on all the rockier tracks the opening number is terrific.

Awesome! Looking forward to it (only 2 weeks now!)
Steve Parish

Postby dave robinson » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:50 am

I agree the drum sound is great, but I can't say I like the vocal backing that's been added. :?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby EJK » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:51 pm

roninnes wrote:Steve,
I agree with what you say that BB sounds as good as ever on the new album.
Couple of things I do not like - the new opening for Do You Wanna Dance, I always thought the BB opening was neat and BB has simplified some of his drumming, not so many twiddley bits. This may be sign of maturity, which we all experience, but overall a good album with BB showing why he is still the master.

Ron

You will find that the original recording of Do You Wanna Dance (flip side of I'm lookin out the Window) was recorded when Tony Meehan was the drummer.

That version is so much better than the new one as it had far more edge and a great bass line from Jet Harris.
EJK

Full Real Name: Eric Kidd

Postby roninnes » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:08 pm

Good spot Eric, May 1962 and all.
I agree lots of drive and great bass line.
Ron
Ron
roninnes

Postby Steve Parish » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:30 pm

I'm sure it was Brian on the original; in fact, I'm positive that Warren Bennett told us as much some time ago on a similar thread. Ok, lets look at the facts... when was Do You Wanna Dance recorded?
Steve Parish

Postby roninnes » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Phil,
That is what I thought, however on page 136 of Malcolm Campbell's book "The Shadows at EMI" he shows the lineup as Hank, Bruce, Jet and Tony. Is he wrong?

The drumming is so BB I find it hard to believe what I read.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Next

Return to Drums and Drummers