brians drum sticks

Anything to do with drums, percussion and drummers

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

brians drum sticks

Postby shadhasher » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:30 pm

hello
does anyone know weather brian uses vic firth wood tips or plastic,and dose it make adifferance to his sound?
thanks.
shadhasher

Re: brians drum sticks

Postby shadhasher » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:55 am

thanks ludwig
you have given me more info than i got from a drum shop,when i asked them,they said they would find out,and never got back to me.
I always think that if you have the right tools for the job than you wouldn`t be far off the right sound.
but if you have the new tour broucher brian is holding Vic Firth sticks,thats all i had to go on,its probably just for display or practise use.
shadhasher

Postby JimN » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:14 pm

Ludwig wrote:I don't know what sticks Brian is using for the current tour. ...
Phil.

As chance would have it, on Wednesday last, in Whitechapel, Liverpool (near what is now apparently called "the Cavern Quarter"), a knowledgeable little bird told me that Brian and Warren are using ProMark sticks on the tour.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby shadhasher » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:51 pm

thanks guys for all the info,its very much appreciated.
shadhasher

Postby shadhasher » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:58 pm

hi phil
i had alook at your web page,you have got one of the nicest sounding drum kits,i think the yamaha 9000 was awesome sounding on the shadows live at the liverpool empire cd,especially after brian remastered the sound track.
do you play them?
maybe i can hear you play them on youtube or something?
shadhasher

Postby roninnes » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:44 pm

There is a very clear picture of Brian on the set of pics at Manchester from Phil.
There are Vic Firth sticks sitting on the bass drum.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Postby shadhasher » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:53 am

hello all
thanks for all the info on brians drum sticks.
Now can anyone varifie what kit brian was useing for the 2005 Shadows tour,i was under the inpression
that it was a Pearl Marsters Custom MRX,but that was disputed,with someone saying it was a Ludwig.
was that not used for the 2004 tour?
michael
shadhasher

Postby roninnes » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:16 pm

You are correct. The kit on the 2004 tour was the Ludwig but Brian was having problems with spares so he went with the Pearl kit for 2005.

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Postby shadhasher » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:14 am

roninnes wrote:You are correct. The kit on the 2004 tour was the Ludwig but Brian was having problems with spares so he went with the Pearl kit for 2005.

Ron

ah just as i thought,and it was a much better sounding kit do you agree?that deep booming bass drum and the sharp snap of the snare,was awesome even the kit being used on the recent cliff/shadows tour sounds fantastic,i only hope that when the DVD comes out the tech people have emphisied the sound and not tried to quieten it,brian is as much part of the shadows sound as the others and he is sometimes overlooked.
shadhasher

Postby roninnes » Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:37 pm

The snap of the snare was due to the fact that as Phil has detailed Brian used a 12X5 snare.
Now being a fan of BB I went out and bought a 12X5 Pearl Sensitone snare and it is a beauty. It cracks so loudly, and I took it with me to the last Scarborough weekend in May this year other drummers were commenting on the sound.

I really must stop buying snare drums!!!!!!!!!!

Ron
Ron
roninnes

Next

Return to Drums and Drummers