Playing other people's kits

Anything to do with drums, percussion and drummers

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Playing other people's kits

Postby roninnes » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:21 am

I recently had the pleasure of playing with Shazam at Shadowsfix and in Germany at their Shadows convention in Verden. On both occasions I was using someone else's kit. At Shadowsfix Dave Eyre's Sonor kit and in Verden the kit was provided by Henk the drummer from the UB Hank band, it was a 1960's Ludwig kit. I found both kits to be set up differently to mine and was so aware of how comfortable you are with your own set up. Drums in a certain place at a certain angle and similarly with cymbals. However having said that it was interesting how quickly you can adapt to the different set up. The one thing I always do is to take my own Ludwig 400 snare drum, somehow that is the one thing I have to have. Call it my security blanket if you like but it goes with me everywhere.
Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Re: Playing other people's kits

Postby Paul Creasey » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Some nice Gigs, there, Ron! 8-)

Totally agree with what you say about other peoples' Kits. Truth be told, I really HATE using someone else's - even some of the REALLY tasty ones that I've been allowed to play! :oops:
My major difficulty is the Snare Drum Stand. It seems that almost everyone these days has a set-up where the Snare is angled TOWARDS the player (IE. Farthest edge of drum higher than the nearest edge). Perhaps something to do with my "roots" (50+ years ago, now!) as a Cadet Drum & Bugle Band drummer, but I have mine set-up angled AWAY from me. I take little satisfaction in Drummers using MY kit having a similar - but opposite - difficulty!

In my case, it's probably just "old dogs" not wanting to learn "new tricks". :lol:

Regards
Paul.

P.S. A fact probably missed by most, but today - 10 October - is "HUG A DRUMMER" Day.
See: http://on.fb.me/hugadrummer
Whilst I don't "do" Facebook", I've already had a couple of "Hugs" in my eMail inbox - from female members of the opposite sex, too! :oops:
Paul Creasey

Re: Playing other people's kits

Postby roninnes » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:01 pm

Paul,
I really enjoyed both gigs, and totally concur with your snare drum comments. I do not understand a snare drum pointing toward you but even Steve Gadd does this. I grew up with Boys Brigade drum and bugle so feel the same as you, tip it away from you though I do find more drummers are holding their sticks pudding spoon style so it matches the drum position.
I'll stick with my tried and tested method slightly tipped away which, like Brian, allows for traditional and pudding spoon styles.
Ron
Ron
roninnes

Full Real Name: Ron Innes

Return to Drums and Drummers