New 1958 Custom Shop (master built) Precision Bass

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

New 1958 Custom Shop (master built) Precision Bass

Postby abstamaria » Fri May 16, 2014 1:24 am

We ordered a Precision Bass from Fender's Custom Shop last year. We wanted a sunburst to 1959 specification but of course more finely made than the original and with a flame maple neck. Greg Fessler, who did the 50th Anniversary Shadows Stratocasters for Oasis Music in the UK, agreed to build the guitar.

Fender's Custom Shop must be very busy, because this order took much longer than our previous ones. I almost forgot about it. But the other week the dealer (Frank Glionna of the Music Gallery in Chicago) emailed to say Fender advised the guitar was finished. Frank again emailed this morning to say the guitar is already with them and so will do the usual checks, install the strings we want, etc.. He added:

"There was no good way to show off the beautiful flame maple in the neck with a still camera. It did not do it justice. So we shot a short video of just the neck. You can see it using this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx5Tmxa ... e=youtu.be

..."

I wanted to share that with you. Our bassist Anna is naturally excited. So am I.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Re: New 1958 Custom Shop (master built) Precision Bass

Postby Tony » Fri May 16, 2014 2:09 am

It looks magnificent .....

Tony
Tony

Full Real Name: Antony Colmer

Postby abstamaria » Fri May 16, 2014 7:46 am

Thanks, Tony. It's still in the U.S. so I don't know how it looks or will sound. Perhaps different from the 60th Anniversary PBass our bassist Anna now uses. This new one is supposed to have the dampener pad under the bridge cover.

Andy
abstamaria

Postby alanbakewell » Fri May 16, 2014 8:30 am

Andy, it's two strings short and the wrong way round.

Other than that it looks superb. :D :D

Cheers, Alan.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby abstamaria » Sat May 17, 2014 4:02 am

Funny, Alan. I wish I played bass. That’s Anna’s guitar. She’ll keep the bridge and pickup covers on, as with her red “Shadows” PBass.. The bridge cover on this one should have the felt or foam damper, so I am curious how the guitar will sound.

Frank Glionna (the dealer through whom we ordered the guitar) sent several photos, including this one. You can see that this is based on an early 1959 PBass, before the shift later in the year to the tortoiseshell pickguard and rosewood fingerboard.

Andy

abstamaria

Postby MMStingray54 » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:05 pm

This bass looks fabulous - I particularly like the sunburst. I'm presuming you've taken delivery of it, in which case how is it sounding in a band situation?
MMStingray54

Full Real Name: Don Vann

Postby Gatwick1946 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:45 am

Great looking bass - and it looks like flatwound strings have been fitted to the bass in the video. Yet another choice to be made by a player if they wish to achieve a vintage look or sound.

Personally, I have found that whereas a vintage sound is easier to emulate, using the modern equipment, flatwound strings do affect the way a bass feels. I was trying some finger style bass recently and got blistered fingers from the wirewound,Rotosound strings!

Kindest regards
Christopher
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Postby abstamaria » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:28 am

Many thanks. Yes, the bass arrived shortly after I posted that earlier photo. It is just fabulous. It took my breath away when I first opened the case. Anna, too, and she couldn’t put it down.

We haven’t been able to use it with the band yet (too busy!) but are anxious to hear it. It is also a very light guitar. I’ll let you know when we’ve heard it played.

Best regards,

Andy
abstamaria

Postby Dranna » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:38 am

It is a beautiful guitar and I can't wait to actually play it. I'm going to try and get the band together soon.

Anna
Dranna

Postby MMStingray54 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:45 pm

It's stunning folks - will be interested to hear how it sounds with the band. Does it have the foam mute under that bridge cover?
MMStingray54

Full Real Name: Don Vann

Return to Bass and Bass Players