RIP Jack Bruce.

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

RIP Jack Bruce.

Postby jetcross » Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:55 pm

Sad news that Jack Bruce has passed away today and though not connected with Shadows music, he was great influence on my early bass playing through his melodic interpretations and growling bass. I saw him with the Graham Bond Organisation in the early 60's, playing a Fender Bass V1. Ginger Baker was the drummer. RIP Jack Bruce.
jetcross

Full Real Name: Ian Cross

Re: RIP Jack Bruce.

Postby dave robinson » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Oh dear another sad loss. RIP Jack.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Mikey » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:27 pm

Gosh what a shocker.
Privileged to have seen him live with Cream back in 1967 at the Pavilion Ballrooms in Bournemouth (yes, really!) and more recently in Bristol at a recent UK tour.
A bass virtuoso and a pretty good pianist too.
RIP Jack.
Mikey

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:31 pm

Gradually, our youth is being eroded.

RIP Jack, you were one of the best.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby stephen » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:17 am

Jack lived in a small village (Alphamstone) not that far from me. I was made aware of this some years back on an occasion that I was giving my address details to someone at Fender UK. When I'd finished he said, "Oh, you must be a neighbour of Jack Bruce's then?" I expressed surprise, but thought no more about it until.....
One day, on Market Hill in our closest town (Sudbury), I was walking in the door of Halfords and literally bumped into Jack Bruce as he was walking out and slipping on his Ray-Ban's! I was really stuck for words, but wished I could have said something coherent. All that was going through my mind was, "It's mister 'Sunshine of Your Love', in HALFORDS!" He was an awful lot thinner and more 'drawn' in the face than the last photos. I'd seen of him. My wife was just coming out of another shop just a few doors up and ahead of Jack and all I could do was rather inanely gesticulate at her and mouth the words, "Look! It's Jack Bruce!" Further embarrassment as she loudly responded, "Who? What! Why are you waving at me?" Jack turned around and gave me a quizzical look before continuing on his way. After that, I'd always pop into Halfords when I was in Sudbury, just to see if Jack was in there buying another socket set!
Both the music and the cover of Disraeli Gears was very influential to me. I never did get to see Cream perform live. Closest I got was seeing Eric at Liverpool Philharmonic Hall when he was masquerading as Derek & The Dominos. Whilst Carl Radle was a fantastic bassist, he was no Jack Bruce. I'm glad that the trio was able to reform a few years back for those reunion gigs at the Albert Hall.
Stephen.
stephen

Postby dave robinson » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:17 pm

by kipper » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:30 pm

sad news rip. peter
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby dave robinson » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:18 pm

by humdrum » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:38 am

RIP JACK BRUCE...a truly brilliant musician.
humdrum
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Didier » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:51 pm

A great loss. I saw him once playing live in Paris at a concert by West, Bruce & Laing in 1973.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby Mikey » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:42 pm

Surprised and disappointed that - as far as I can tell - there has been no mention of Jack's passing on either TV or radio news bulletins.
Both Jet, Shane Fenton and others have been announced and surely Jack's contribution to modern music history warrants a mention?
Mikey

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:21 am

Mikey wrote:Surprised and disappointed that - as far as I can tell - there has been no mention of Jack's passing on either TV or radio news bulletins.
Both Jet, Shane Fenton and others have been announced and surely Jack's contribution to modern music history warrants a mention?

No, no, the story has been well aired. In fact, it was the lead story on BBC Radio 4's Midnight News on Saturday. This is how the bulletin began:

Jack Bruce -- the bass player, composer and singer with one of the most revered rock bands, Cream -- has died at the age of 71.
Two Labour former first ministers of Scotland say Ed Miliband needs to .... etc etc

If you follow this URL and click on the Play icon you'll hear what they did about him

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04mb0s1

I don't think the death of a bass player has ever led a Radio 4 bulletin before!

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Next

Return to Bass and Bass Players