bass cd play along

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

bass cd play along

Postby fzrsew49 » Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:54 pm

where can i buy a cd of various shadows music that i can hopefully use to improve my very basic ability with a bass guitar? i only need the bass line, nothing else. many thanks if you can help.
fzrsew49

Full Real Name: stewart wood

Re: bass cd play along

Postby dave robinson » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:39 pm

I made a series of three CDs containing thirty of the Shadows hits and better known tunes, which had the bass guitar removed to allow bass players to practice adding their part. The full demo with bass is also included for reference. I no longer have stock or have the inclination to make backing track CDs because of the piracy which ruined the business, but I will supply tracks via email as MP3 files. If anyone wanted the full CD I would supply it as MP3 files for £10.00 via email and a CD could be burned by the buyer. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby JimTidmarsh » Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:43 pm

Stewart, I play along to normal CDs and turn down the bass on the amplifier. Unless the bass part is really prominent it works well & helps me practice.
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby bassboogie » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:07 pm

I can highly recommend Daves' no bass BT's.
Just reminded me I need another set, delighted you can do them via email Dave. Would like all 3 CD's
How do I pay ? Can PM me if you prefer.

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby dave robinson » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:20 pm

bassboogie wrote:I can highly recommend Daves' no bass BT's.
Just reminded me I need another set, delighted you can do them via email Dave. Would like all 3 CD's
How do I pay ? Can PM me if you prefer.

Regards, Luigi

Thanks Luigi, I sent you a PM. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby piecrusty » Sat Dec 06, 2014 6:21 pm

I would highly recommend Daves play along bass practice CDs as well, I still have my set that he did for me years ago, brilliant aid to practice! He also did a set with drums removed when I was trying to improve my drumming as well!

Cheers
piecrusty

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Dec 07, 2014 9:41 am

fzrsew49 wrote:i only need the bass line, nothing else. many thanks if you can help.

If you mean you need the bass line removed then, yes, Dave's tracks are just the ticket and I agree with all the above.

If you mean you need the bass line on its own so that you can study it, that's more difficult but there are ways of bringing it out so you can hear what's going on more clearly. In any stereo track the bass is often offset so isolating the 'side' where the bass is clearer is a good start. You can then adjust your bass and treble controls to clarify it further. I actually discovered that rare occurrence, a John Rostill 'mistake', by doing just that!

Another way to study the bass line, if you have the technology, is to play the track at double speed. OK, it becomes the instrumental equivalent of Pinky and Perky or the Chipmunks, but it's surprising just how prominent the bass part will seem when you listen this way.

A further trick with computer technology is to isolate a section where there's something interesting going on and 'loop' it so it plays over and over again.

Playing along with the records is also a good way to practise. OK there's already bass on them but you'll still hear what you're doing and it'll help you play in sync with the band, which is just as important as playing appropriate notes!

Hope this helps - Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Return to Bass and Bass Players