Revelation 'Precision / Jazz' bass RPJ77

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Revelation 'Precision / Jazz' bass RPJ77

Postby RayL » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:21 pm

Alan Entwhistle, as we know, produces some excellent pickups (including the Noiseless pickups for Burns). He has also designed some interesting guitars, with worthwhile variations on classic designs. I have several of his Alden range and all have been good'uns.

These days he has been designing the Revelation range. Needing a bass for a particular job, I looked at what he had on offer. My requirement was:
1. Not expensive
2. Light in weight (for a bass) to make it easier to wear for a long-ish period.
3. Strap button opposite the 12th fret (P-bass/J--bass style) because this makes the lower five frets less of a stretch and the request was "don't play high on the neck".
4. Some variation in tone available.

My choice was the RPJ77, a sort of Precision / Jazz hybrid,
Revelation RPJ77 bass.JPG
(92.93 KiB) Downloaded 5908 times

At £144 it wasn't expensive for what is a very well-made instrument. Flawless sunburst finish, low action, well-dressed frets, D'Addario strings, individual saddles, two volume one tone - what's not to like? (The light-coloured curl on the upper bout in the picture is from the camera flash)
With it's Basswood body it weighs in a 8 1/2 lbs. By comparison a true Fender Precision is 9 lbs and a Burns Bison a shoulder-numbing 13 lbs.
The P-bass pickup sounds like a P-bass pickup should, but with a little extra gain. The J-bass pickup near the bridge has more bite, but interesting things happen when both are full on together. Some phase cancellation is obviously occurring because the sound has a real twang to it. Back off the J by a quarter turn and the twang disappears but the J still reinforces the P to give a more powerful sound.

As you can probably gather, satisfied customer.
Last edited by RayL on Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Re: Revelation 'Precision / Jazz' bass RPJ77

Postby dave robinson » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:41 pm

Looks a great buy Ray, there's some good alternative stuff around these days. :thumbup:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Revelation 'Precision / Jazz' bass RPJ77

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:15 pm

Sounds tempting ...
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Return to Bass and Bass Players