Bass Amp Recommendations?

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Bass Amp Recommendations?

Postby Didier » Sat May 23, 2015 9:08 am

JimTidmarsh wrote:I don't know whether to replace it with a lighter combo or go for a separate head and cabinet.

Look at this one : http://www.thomann.de/gb/tc_electronic_bg250_210.htm

I have never heard it, but theorically it might suit your needs.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby JimTidmarsh » Sat May 23, 2015 9:20 am

Yes, that was one under consideration.

But I've decided on a BH250 head and BC212 (2x12) cabinet. Once I'm back from holiday next week I'll be making a purchase!!!

Thanks for all your help, guys.
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby JimTidmarsh » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:10 pm

So here it is!! I've discovered that the TC Electronics BC range 2x10 and 2x12 cabs have been discontinued so I've had a bit of a search to find one!

I'm well pleased with the sound.

IMG_4784 (399x640).jpg
(108.89 KiB) Downloaded 14161 times
JimTidmarsh

Postby Jay Bass » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi Jim
Pleased you got sorted with your new set up.
let us know how you get on with it after a couple of live gigs.
a couple of bass players i know rave about the TC stuff.
so it would be good to have a first hand review.

regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby JimTidmarsh » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:02 am

Will do, Jay.

Q&TS haven't got a gig now for a few weeks, but we have plenty of rehearsals planned & I'm looking forward to using it then.

I played through Michel Henaux's (SHOTGUN LTD & Apollo 11) similar rig when The Shades played in France last November. I was impressed with the sound then and that played a large part in my final decision. A few hours last night in my music room confirmed I've made the right decision!!
JimTidmarsh

Postby MMStingray54 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:52 am

JimTidmarsh wrote:So here it is!! I've discovered that the TC Electronics BC range 2x10 and 2x12 cabs have been discontinued so I've had a bit of a search to find one!

I'm well pleased with the sound.

IMG_4784 (399x640).jpg

Any further news on this, Jim. How well does it perform in rehearsals/at gig volume? I have played through something similar but smaller (a combo but not sure if the spec) at a jam session.
MMStingray54

Full Real Name: Don Vann

Postby JimTidmarsh » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:02 am

Sorry, I've been a bit lax on following this up!!

I've used my new rig at three band rehearsals now & to say that I'm impressed (and the other band members) is an understatement!!!!!!!

The sound, combined with flatwound strings, is superb and, though I'm still experimenting with the three way EQ boost/cut controls, cuts through
the overall sound perfectly. I can get everything from Jet's early sound to something similar to the modern Shad's sound (Griffiths/Jones).

All this, plus an easy to transport unit - the cab weighs about half of our lead guitarist's AC30.

Well pleased.
JimTidmarsh

Postby MMStingray54 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:35 pm

Excellent Jim - glad you're pleased.

For the EQ, good to start with all three pointing vertically (12 o clock) - I.e a neutral setting. For a Precision type bass, slight boost of bass and treble (say 1 o clock) and cut of mid range (say 11 o clock) should give the smiley face sound and take some of the natural mids of the instrument for a more vintage sound. However for a Jazz or Stingray type bass which have natural scoop to the sound from the instrument you probably need to bring the mids back to the centre to avoid adding extra scoop which would result in you not being able to hear yourself clearly against those AC30s and drum kit.

However this is all dependent on the room you're playing in and the natural voicing of the speaker cabinet. The TC set up I played through had less natural mid range than my Markbass set up so I boosted it (on the bass also) to cut through. Mid range will help you cut through but can sound boxy dependent on the frequency centre of the control. Talking of rooms, I played two gigs on Sunday, one outdoors and one in a pub - the sound at the outdoor gig was great but the pub ......... The natural frequency of the room appeared to match the key of B so every note of B caused resonance and sounded twice as loud as any other!! Not sure how you deal with that other than possibly isolation mats and not boosting bass too much!

Anyway hope that helps - and if anyone has any advice on avoiding room frequency resonance it'd be gratefully received!!
MMStingray54

Full Real Name: Don Vann

Postby JimTidmarsh » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:08 pm

Thanks for the EQ recommendations, Don. That's one combination I haven't tried yet but will tomorrow at our next rehearsal.

Interesting what you say about room ambience; I don't give it a lot of thought but it could explain a lot!

All the best
JimTidmarsh

Postby Nick Smith » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi!

I would look at Vanderkley, I have been using their superb cabs for 3 years and love them, however they are not cheap. Other than that, a used Markbass unit would be a good buy!
Nick Smith

PreviousNext

Return to Bass and Bass Players