Chris Squire RIP

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Chris Squire RIP

Postby GoldenStreet » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:01 pm

Stalwart co-founder member of Yes.

Impressive three-neck instrument...

CS.JPG
CS.JPG (18.97 KiB) Viewed 7451 times

Bill
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Re: Chris Squire RIP

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:43 pm

The upcoming Yes tour will be the first time they have EVER played without Chris, who was the only member of the band to have been in every line-up since the beginning.

An amazing and innovative bass player who will be sadly missed. I can honestly say that were it not for him, I may never have become interested in playing the bass, and as a result would now be much poorer (in more ways than one).

R.I.P. Chris, you were unique.
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Postby bassboogie » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:00 pm

A great loss to bass playing.
I think his last project was a joint album with Steve Hackett, which was given a star review in Bass Guitar magazine.
The bass "tri-guitar", I believe belongs to Rick Wakeman. Roger Newell played it in the 70's for the King Arthur "On Ice" tour.
Chris Squire leaves an enormous legacy, his bass lines were complex and innovative, as was the Yes music. Again, like the Shads, Yes were very popular in Southern Africa. Trevor Rabin, a South African, played with Yes and wrote Owner of a Lonely Heart.
Happy days, memories, and thanks.
RIP

Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby Nick Smith » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:38 am

Chris remains one of my all time bass heroes, his approach to the instrument really took him to the very highest echelons and his legacy will remain forever! Just some info on that pic of him with the triple necked bass. It was originally commissioned by Rick Wakeman for his bassist at the time, Roger Newell. Wal basses of High Wycombe built it and after Rick broke up his band, he gave it to Chris Squire around about the time Going for The One was toured, as Chris had used multiple basses on the track Awaken. The bass ended up in The Hard Rock Café in New York but was toured again by Chris in 1991/92 for the Union tour. After that tour, it went back to the Hard Rock Café and Chris was presented with an exact replica of it by a Japanese guitar company called Kids Guitars; Chris then used it on subsequent Yes tours!
Nick Smith

Return to Bass and Bass Players