Alan Jones

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Alan Jones

Postby Tab » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:36 am

Watched Alan in action on Saturday at the Surrey Club's 'Local Heroes' event.

Masterful - excellent playing, perfectly balanced and not over stated. Many semi-pro bass players want to be lead guitarists, are too loud and spoil the overall sound of the band.
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Re: Alan Jones

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:18 am

I remember Alan quoting what the consultant said to him after his car crash in 1988: "You'll never drive a car again and you'll never play bass guitar again."
How wrong can you be? Given his effortless mastery of his instrument, I wouldn't be scared if he ever offered me a lift!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Bob Withrington » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:02 pm

We were so delighted that Alan was able to recover sufficiently to be able to be on stage on Saturday. It was touch and go earlier in the week that gave Barry a few more grey hairs. But all came good in the end with Dave Eyre doing the driving duties down from Rotherham.

We agree entirely with the comments made by Terry. So thanks again Alan for showing how it is done properly.

Cheers,

Bob
Bob Withrington

Postby LazerBass » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:47 pm

I had the great pleasure of meeting Alan today at Doncaster Club. I have always admired his Bass playing when he was a member of the Shadows and also his Larger-than-Life personality and cheery smile. He fitted in with Hank, Bruce & Brian, just right - in my opinion.
I recalled a clip from The Noel Edmunds (TV) Show which is on You Tube, where the Shadows are playing Telstar. Hank is centre stage and Alan is on the RHS. He is wearing his Green Velvet Jacket and, more interesting to me, playing a Aria Bass. I asked him if it was an SB1000, which he confirmed, said "well done for spotting it" and went on to tell me that Aria had asked him to help promote all their Basses - by giving him one of each type! Cor, what a Lucky Bloke.
Alan had brought with him a Red, 1953 Fender Precision, which sounded (and looked) very nice. Needless to say his playing appeared to be effortless.

Alan later paid tribute to Chris Jarvis, who's recent Funeral he had attended and mentioned a forthcoming event he is hoping to organise with the other members of "Legend".

A friend took my photo, with Alan and his Bass - which is a nice thing for me to have, after all these years and I had a another enjoyable afternoon at Doncaster Club. Regards to all, Lazers
LazerBass

Postby Uncle Fiesta » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:25 pm

I got to play with Alan again at the North Notts club yesterday. Always a pleasure, especially when you can sit and listen to his wonderful stories afterwards. We were sat there so long we got chucked out because the club staff wanted to go home!
Uncle Fiesta

Full Real Name: Steve Tebble

Return to Bass and Bass Players