New Jet book...

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New Jet book...

Postby dave robinson » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:42 am

Unfortunately Amazon have advised me that the book is on it's way since I opted to cancel, but thank you for your kind offer David.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby donna plasky » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:44 am

bassboogie wrote:Probably a silly question but who is Mike Cook and what is his relationship with the Shads and Jet ?
Thanks, Luigi

Not a silly question at all. In fact, it gets right to the heart of the matter. From what I gather, he's some sort of friend of Jet's, so he says. Many of us have never heard of him, thus his subliminal use of Cliff's name in the title of the book, purely to get people's attention. This sounds like the author's memoirs, disguised as a biography of Jet.

A true friend would not speak of Jet's troubles, in a profit-making venture like a book, some five years after his passing, when Jet is not here to defend himself. And I've no idea why he should also throw in a few tawdry tales about Hank and Bruce. They surely cannot be too pleased about it. How would this person be able to speak with authority on such things any way.

We can each remember Jet in our own way, and let him rest in peace, knowing that he conquered his lifelong battles before his life came to a tragic end. This man calls himself a lifelong friend, but I don't think he is acting like one.

Thank you for letting me vent.

Donna
donna plasky

Full Real Name: Donna Plasky

Postby RayL » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:13 am

Only too often, books about musicians concentrate on their private life, whereas fans want to know more about the music. For example, can you think of a musician's biography that has included set lists from different times in their career? Or has done more than mention their instruments in passing? Yet as this website shows, these are details that matter to real fans.

To cheer you up, here's Jet as people remember him from recent times - on stage with a Fender Bass in his hands playing Apache. Bruce's Stratocaster is 34346. That's Colin Pryce-Jones on guitar of course and John Tuck on drums. It's a screen grab from the unissued video of the concert on 17th July 2005.
APACHE.JPG
(23.97 KiB) Downloaded 14789 times

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby bassboogie » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:47 pm

Thanks Donna, that clears things up and thanks Ray, that's the Jet I remember.

Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:41 am

Having now read the book I can't really recommend it. It's basically a chronology of his women and alchaholism.
The one thing I did find out was that Jet developed throat cancer which is what I suffered with.
That's the only time I've ever seen an explanation into his untimely death. On a positive note I feel very lucky.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby audreyk » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:33 pm

Hi Dave and Everyone,

I think that Janet (Hemingway) wants to say something about this book and I don’t want to pre-empt her comments. However, I can say that David Martin and Keith are correct about there being many inaccuracies. Even facts about equipment and the discography are incorrect!!

Anyway, the time that I know about in detail - because I was there - is covered briefly in the last section. Much of the last few years (especially the last 18 months when Jet was very proud of things he was doing) is either glossed over, or is incorrect. The inaccuracies range from the reasons why Jet stopped performing with the Rapiers through to the timescale of hospital treatment etc.

One of the things I think it’s important to correct is that Jet was not diagnosed with throat cancer. Barry and I accompanied Jet and Janet many times to hospital appointments, biopsies, scans, etc. Also, we were with them when Jet was seeing the doctor and nurses latterly at home. Jet underwent numerous medical tests and investigations to try to find the primary cancer. It was never found and he died from a secondary cancer called “cancer of unknown primary”. This might sound as though it is vague, but it is a type of cancer. If anyone wants to read an explanation of this, please see the page on the Jet Harris Memorial Fund website, http://jetharrismemorialfund.org/cup.html or contact me for more information.

I hope this helps with a little more info.

Best wishes
Audrey
audreyk

Full Real Name: Audrey Knapp

Postby Gary Allen » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:31 am

Iain Purdon wrote:I won't bother.

I know everything I need to know about a man who played on some of the best records in my collection and whose on-stage performance I greatly enjoyed . The rest is his business not mine.

#nocashinginonamemory

Well said Iain,my thoughts exactly.
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby apache1960 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:04 am

A dissappointing book, badly written with too much emphasis on the negative aspects of Jet's life.
A waste of money.
apache1960

Postby iefje » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:22 pm

I haven't got this book and having read all comments, I will probably not buy it. I do have a copy of Jet's book "In spite of everything", which I quite like.
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Previous

Return to Bass and Bass Players