New Jet book...

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New Jet book...

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:12 am

donna plasky wrote:While I would love to know more about Jet and his career, a book entitled, "Cliffhanger" would not seem to be right for me. The dignity and respect Jet deserves seem to be missing. No thanks.

Donna

I think the word 'Cliffhanger' may refer to Cliff - nothing more. I've ordered it anyway. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby David Martin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:16 am

Further in now... more wives, affairs and booze. Almost nothing about the music now.
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Keith Bateman » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:08 pm

I think this is an appallingly written book. It is as if the publisher has taken the author's text and done nothing in the way of checking. Apart from many factual inaccuracies the whole thing is a proofreader's nightmare. Missing spaces, commas, full points, apostrophes and capitals. Misspellings and repeated paragraphs. I'm not just being a grammar pedant (which I am!), it really does make for a difficult read. The author refers to himself in the third person throughout. I was quite exhausted at the end and learned little new apart from some rather unsavoury stories.
Not recommended.
Keith
Keith Bateman

Full Real Name: Keith Bateman

Postby David Martin » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:03 pm

Keith Bateman wrote:I think this is an appallingly written book. It is as if the publisher has taken the author's text and done nothing in the way of checking. Apart from many factual inaccuracies the whole thing is a proofreader's nightmare. Missing spaces, commas, full points, apostrophes and capitals. Misspellings and repeated paragraphs. I'm not just being a grammar pedant (which I am!), it really does make for a difficult read. The author refers to himself in the third person throughout. I was quite exhausted at the end and learned little new apart from some rather unsavoury stories.
Not recommended.
Keith

Agree wholeheartedly. Did you know that Jet was top of the bill at Shadowmania - mentioned just once as an event? No mention of Shadows clubs supporting him through paying for him to come to their events. No mention that Diamonds Are Trumps was funded in advance of it being recorded by members of the Shadowmania audience. It's a long list...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby anniv 63 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:24 pm

Yes, have to say a rather depressing read overall, with many facts and information mostly
already known generally.
The author does not credit any people with assisting with the preparation of material,
interview sources(if any?)
Also would have been nice to see perhaps a small percentage of the book price being
directed to Jet's Memorial Fund.
Not many positives sad to say.

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby bassboogie » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:23 pm

Probably a silly question but who is Mike Cook and what is his relationship with the Shads and Jet ?

Thanks, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby dave robinson » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:20 am

Well I did order a copy from Amazon but I've had a memo from them stating that the supplier cannot guarantee delivery on time, so i took the opportunity to cancel.
Reading what's been said here it seemed the best move to make. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby David Martin » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:23 am

dave robinson wrote:Well I did order a copy from Amazon but I've had a memo from them stating that the supplier cannot guarantee delivery on time, so i took the opportunity to cancel.
Reading what's been said here it seemed the best move to make. :|

Have mine for free...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:54 am

I won't bother.

I know everything I need to know about a man who played on some of the best records in my collection and whose on-stage performance I greatly enjoyed . The rest is his business not mine.

#nocashinginonamemory
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby anniv 63 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:38 pm

Well said Iain, a sentiment shared by many of us . Its the music and inspiration of Jet that
have been part of our lives for so many years, and long may it continue!!!

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

PreviousNext

Return to Bass and Bass Players