Nathan J Hulse

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Nathan J Hulse

Postby bassboogie » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:56 pm

As you know Nathan played bass for the Lee Restarick band at Lakeside. It has all been said before but what a polished, seamless and professional performance.
Had a brief chat with Nathan after the show and he has his own website now, link is below. Great site and Nathan has transcribed some basslines including Jet's Razzle Dazzle. Mr Harris never fails to amaze. Well worth a visit.

Regards, Luigi
www.nathanjhulse.co.uk
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Re: Nathan J Hulse

Postby rogera » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:23 pm

A really interesting and informative site.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby RayL » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:52 am

Echoing Rogera, a really interesting and informative site.

I'm sure Nathan won't mind me telling you this little story, since it demonstrates his wish to show himself playing at his very best.
At the Pipeline Convention in 2013, Nathan played bass with The Stingrays. Each year I recorded the Convention on video for all the instrumental enthusiasts who couldn't get to the show. One tune includes a fast 'bass solo' and there was a fluff within one bar. Nathan made a special trip (many miles) to my studio to repair that one bar!
Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Derek Mowbray » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:35 pm

Cliff and The Shadows did two Bill Haley tracks on The Live Kingston CD ,Dim Dim The Lights and Razzle Dazzle I wonder if Jet was influenced by the bass playing of Al Rex ,Hank`s lead guitar is similar to Franny Beechers but not an exact copy both tunes are played at a faster pace than the originals .
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

Postby cockroach » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:48 am

Derek Mowbray wrote:Cliff and The Shadows did two Bill Haley tracks on The Live Kingston CD ,Dim Dim The Lights and Razzle Dazzle I wonder if Jet was influenced by the bass playing of Al Rex ,Hank`s lead guitar is similar to Franny Beechers but not an exact copy both tunes are played at a faster pace than the originals .

Yes- that surprised me when I first got and listened to the Kingston CD- Bill Haley was pretty much old hat by 1962, and the Shads doing the fairly obscure Quarter to Three was also a surprise...as was Save My Soul by Cliff.

Wonder why they didn't feature their own original fast rockers in their live shows to showcase their material, especially when this recording was presumably originally intended to be released as a live album?
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby iefje » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:12 pm

The studio version of "Razzle Dazzle" was recorded later in 1962 with Brian Locking and released for the first time on the 1965 album "Cliff Richard".
iefje

Full Real Name: Ivo Koers

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:16 pm

iefje wrote:The studio version of "Razzle Dazzle" was recorded later in 1962 with Brian Locking and released for the first time on the 1965 album "Cliff Richard".

Brian Locking told me it had been a particularly enjoyable session. "We were as tight as a drum" he said. Having just listened to it again I can only agree!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Return to Bass and Bass Players