Fender / Squier Bass VI Advice

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Fender / Squier Bass VI Advice

Postby Jay Bass » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Thanks for all the advice, very helpful
i do mostly play with my fingers, although as mentioned certain songs need to be played using a plectrum
36 24 36 , Kon Tiki , etc etc.
anything i play with a plectrum i find i lose a lot of the bottom end tone ,(i prefer the deep bass sound )
i use a tech 21 pre amp pedal live to compensate for the loss of volume and tone whilst still getting the nice
percusive pick sound.

regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby anniv 63 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Regarding the Bass V1, just noticed a picture of John Lennon playing
one around the time of the Let It Be sessions.
Its a later black finish model with the block type inlays on the fretboard.
Maybe someone thought that this would make the Squier version more
marketable than dot inlays, that were on earlier Fender issues?

Mike
anniv 63

Full Real Name: mj shiach

Postby JimN » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:15 pm

anniv 63 wrote:Regarding the Bass V1, just noticed a picture of John Lennon playing
one around the time of the Let It Be sessions.
Its a later black finish model with the block type inlays on the fretboard.
Maybe someone thought that this would make the Squier version more
marketable than dot inlays, that were on earlier Fender issues?

Mike

I feel reasonably sure that the photo is at fault if the Bass VI appears to be black. Arbiter very famously supplied The Beatles with a load of Fender gear around 1968. This was not long after the death of Brian Epstein and the effective end of his gentleman's assurance to Jennings that The Beatles would always use Vox amplifiers whilst he was their manager.

The Fabs were given several amps, including Twin Reverbs (seen in use at the Baker Street "Let It Be" rooftop concert), a Fender Rhodes piano (ditto), a unique-at-the-time all-rosewood Telecaster for George (rooftop concert again) and that Bass VI, finished, without a single doubt, in sunburst, which by then, may well have been the only finish available. Both George Harrison and John Lennon were seen using the sunburst Fender on different occasions, most notably on the "in-the-studio" version of Hey Jude shown on David Frost's Sunday night TV show for LWT.

In some photos it does appear black. But it was sunburst.

JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dogbender » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:46 pm

I used a Squier VI for some time at live gigs with the band and achieved a very nice deep clicking sound using La Bella strings and a pick.
I stopped using it after purchasing a Squier Vintage Fretless Precision which I find is better especially as we play "The Chain" is only played correctly on a fretless.
Pete.
dogbender

Full Real Name: Peter Gillies

Postby Tony Szpala » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:09 pm

Gents - I tried and persisted for some time with a Squier Bass V1 which frankly I thought was substandard so I sold it on. I use a Burn Barracuda Special for playing Jet Harris numbers such as "Man from Nowhere", "Besame Mucho" & "Big Bad Bass". The strings (flat wound) were specially supplied by Barry Gibson (Managing Director of Burns) and are very well balanced. It's unlikely I am going to change to any other 6 string bass as I am more than pleased with the sound I get from the ' Barracuda.
Tony Szpala

Location: Ripley, Derbyshire email address: tony.szpala@hotmail.com
Full Real Name: Tony Szpala

Postby George Geddes » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:22 pm

Funnily enough, I tried a friend's Barracuda and though it is a lovely instrument, I just couldn't make anything of it. My Squier Bass VI was easier (for me) to play and has been used successfully (I think!) of several Dinosaurs recordings. And my friend bought one for himself...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Previous

Return to Bass and Bass Players