Some Jet Questions

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Some Jet Questions

Postby JimN » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:42 pm

There's some nice footage of that same Sonic Blue Precision Bass (now used by Johnny Gustaffson as part of the Merseybeats' line-up) in the Pathé video:

https://www.facebook.com/MerseysideOnFilm/videos/302130910373454/

There's also a (rare) sighting of a group with matching (white) Fenders: two Straocasters and a Jazz Bass, like The Fentones.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:37 pm

MMStingray54 wrote:I'm most interested in whether people used Precisions at that time - I'm guessing they were rare in the UK and those who did have them had sunburst ones (except Jet Harris/ Licorice Locking). Certainly all those in use in the later 60s appeared to be, though the guy in the Kinks appeared to have a light coloured one (white or sonic blue?)

Actually, Licorice’s own Precision was also sunburst. He used it on the recording of Dance On.
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby JimN » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:18 am

Iain Purdon wrote:
MMStingray54 wrote:I'm most interested in whether people used Precisions at that time - I'm guessing they were rare in the UK and those who did have them had sunburst ones (except Jet Harris/ Licorice Locking). Certainly all those in use in the later 60s appeared to be, though the guy in the Kinks appeared to have a light coloured one (white or sonic blue?)

Actually, Licorice’s own Precision was also sunburst. He used it on the recording of Dance On.

And the bassist in The Kinks (Pete Quaife?) did use a Sonic Blue Precision Bass, though he soon changed to a Fireglo Rickenbacker (THE trendy bass of 1964) and was later seen also with a Gibson EB0 or EB3. He returned to the Precision for at least one TV appearance in about 1966.

the kinks pedals.jpg
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby MMStingray54 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:36 am

Thanks guys - some great stuff there - love the Pathe film - including the occassional patronising references to 'inflicting the sound on the population' but justifying it by mentioning the millions being created. Very much of the time I guess.

I've seen a black and White tele clip of the Kinks playing, I think, You Really Got Me and the bass player was using that Precision - hence me not knowing the colour other than it being light.
MMStingray54

Full Real Name: Don Vann

Postby MMStingray54 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:43 am

Also, interesting reference to John Gustafson, Jim. He was the original subject of the Wal bass - in fact the original series made are called JG. Many went to famous players - the JG series cost a small fortune if they crop up for sale now and a new Wal will set you back somewhere north of £5k!! Since the Brexit vote the Americans get a good deal on used Wal basses owing to the currency rates.

Great bass player, John Gustafson.
MMStingray54

Full Real Name: Don Vann

Previous

Return to Bass and Bass Players