Jets Vox bass combo

Postby Jay Bass » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:28 am

Saw this on ebay does anyone have any info on this combo

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/115585805141
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Re: Jets Vox bass combo

Postby dave robinson » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:57 am

I'd be careful with this, simply because for several years Jet used an AC30 belonging to Mark Alderton which has the 'BASS' badge on the front as well as the gold handwritten 'The Shadows' by Eric in the bottom right hand corner, which is currently and has been for many years in my possession.
This could be someone trying to jack up the price using Jet's name. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Jay Bass » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:15 pm

Thanks Dave for the info
the seller seems genuine enough he has a lot of vintage gear for sale advertised as from Ronnie Lanes studio
but not 100% convinced with the Jet connection to the vox bass combo.
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:02 pm

If this is a 1964 model then the questions begin.
If it really was “Ex the Shadows” then the date places it firmly in John’s era, not Jet’s. If it was Jet’s then it wasn’t a Shads amp, so why say it was?
Did Jet use an amp like this as a solo artiste? By the time he died he was using a much gutsier Fender combo.
How many AC30s did Jet use over all the years in and out of performance? Are they all equally valuable?
What is the story of this particular amp?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby dave robinson » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:41 pm

Someone who is most likely to know is Alan Jackson, as he played in a band with Jet and knew him very well.
This amp is indeed a rarity, our bass player in The Four Blades had the stock one with the normal split front and the only other one I remember seeing belonged to a terrific guitarist from Leeds, Richard Harding, who played a lot of Chet Atkins stuff in his group The Cresters.
I'm particularly interested in the speaker cloth, as it is the later Vox black background rather than the brown that is familiar with the early sixties. Vox didn't' make many of these and especially after about 1967/8, so I would be interested in the true origins of this combo. It doesn't make any sense to me to have a full cloth front on a combo, that look was normally reserved for extension speaker cabinets (check out the later Beatles amps), so I smell a rat and would suggest this is a home made DIY effort and someone is telling porkies. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Return to Bass and Bass Players