Dead spots on basses

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Dead spots on basses

Postby bassboogie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:36 pm

Hi All,

Anyone got any ideas or experiences with dead spots ? J and P basses seem to be prone to these especially on the G string, specifically around 5th fret. Would be glad to hear of other players views and delighted to hear of a cure. It seems to be more of a problem with bolt on necks rather than through the body necks.

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Re: Dead spots on basses

Postby des mcneill » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:53 am

bassboogie wrote:Hi All,

Anyone got any ideas or experiences with dead spots ? J and P basses seem to be prone to these especially on the G string, specifically around 5th fret. Would be glad to hear of other players views and delighted to hear of a cure. It seems to be more of a problem with bolt on necks rather than through the body necks.

Regards, Luigi

Hi Luigi,
Join the club,I have suffered from this for years,usually G string 5-7th fret. I have heard that it is because they have one piece necks as opposed to being laminated as thro' necks tend to be which makes the neck stiffer. Having said that,I still prefer the Precision to anything else. If you find a cure I suspect you could patent it and retire on the proceeds. ;)

Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby David Martin » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:58 am

David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby bassboogie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi Des and David,

Thanks for your replies.
David I've tried the "Fat Finger" as it's called. Unfortunately it did not cure the problem. It seems to work in some cases and has the advantage that it's relatively cheap and non invasive in that you just clamp it on or remove it from the headstock.
Des I'll try my best but greater brains than mine have tried to cure the problem. It's a strange phenomenon in that it only affects a few notes out of 80 plus and in my case they just go completely flat with no sustain, whilst all the other notes ring on endlessly. Is this a problem with 6 stringers ?
If any luthiers or teckies read this I would appreciate your views.

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Postby cockroach » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Most basses have flat dead spots somewhere on the neck- I prefer an upright bass type of tone and would like some flatwound bass strings myself for my bass- so unless you use the modern bass sounds, or are a John Entwhistle fan, why worry about long sustained notes? It's BASS you are playing , not lead guitar!!!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby des mcneill » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:52 pm

Hi John,
I am decidedly not modern,- Precision,AC50 with 18" foundation,flatwound strings,but still irritated by the non event which can be the G string frets5-7. Having said that,my Rostill Burns is also so inclined. My earlier comments re. laminated necks are the opinion of a luthier I know,don't know if I totally agree or not,he plays one of these carbon fibre neck jobs and the problem does not exist on his guitar although it is active and I have often wondered if that is the answer.
Des.
des mcneill

Postby David Martin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 am

I use an Esh Stinger bass http://www.esh-bass.com/

No dead spots and incredible deep sounds...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby cockroach » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:02 pm

Jet has always managed OK.... ;)
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby des mcneill » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:03 pm

cockroach wrote:Jet has always managed OK.... ;)

Hi John,
You are quite right it never stopped Jet,as if anything could. However there is a difference in the sound of these notes which is an irritation but it doesn't mean you can't play the guitar. Enough people have noticed the "characteristic" for it to be documented and even when Jet played my bass I noticed it. I love the Precision,warts and all but that doesn't stop me wishing it didn't have the warts. - In truth only the one wart!
Des.
des mcneill

Postby bassboogie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:47 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for your replies and perhaps I feel a bit better that it's not only me. Very impressed with the AC50/18" combination. Would love to hear that in anger, are any of you you coming to Scarborough ? As you can see from another thread I love Vox bass amps and now that they've made a tiny 10 watt Pathfinder I hope it grows rapidly into an all valve 12", 15", 18" monster !!

You don't need lots of sustain for 60's bass playing, I agree, but it is a bit frustrating when you hit certain notes, however briefly and there's nothing there but a duff note compared to the others.

I absolutely agree that there are no dead/flat notes when Jet plays, only lovely fat notes. On the subject does playing with a pick, which I don't, eliminate the flat spots ?

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Next

Return to Bass and Bass Players