Squier fiesta red/tortoise shell scratchplate P bass

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Squier fiesta red/tortoise shell scratchplate P bass

Postby bassboogie » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:38 pm

Good evening,

Fiesta red seems to be flavour of the day with Fender, the 60's are here to stay. Squier have just produced a lovely bang on P bass in the colour we all know and love. It sells for around £279 and looks the business. My only disappointment is that they should have gone the signature route and named it after the man who made it famous....Jet Harris.

Anyone tried one ? Would love to hear what you think.

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Re: Squier fiesta red/tortoise shell scratchplate P bass

Postby Twangaway » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:02 pm

I agree, it should become a Jet Harris signature guitar following his queens award. Would buy if it happens.

Come on Fender, what's the big deal ?
Twangaway

Postby RUSSET » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:57 pm

bassboogie wrote:Good evening,

Fiesta red seems to be flavour of the day with Fender, the 60's are here to stay. Squier have just produced a lovely bang on P bass in the colour we all know and love. It sells for around £279 and looks the business. My only disappointment is that they should have gone the signature route and named it after the man who made it famous....Jet Harris.

Anyone tried one ? Would love to hear what you think.

Regards, Luigi

Hi Luigi,
I too noticed the new Classic Vibe '60s P.Bass in F.Red. I believe the Scratchplate colour is technically Brown Tortoiseshell, similar to Jet's original Fender. I have not seen one in the flesh yet, but being mainly a guitar player, I have bought the the Classic Vibe 'Biffy Clyro' Strat (available in Europe only). This is also in F.Red with a Rosewood fingerboard, so matches the above bass superbly. The Fiesta Red shade is just a slight shade darker than the USA & Mex versions, but perfectly acceptable. It is a very well made & finished guitar & certainly worth the UK£260 that I paid for it. Yes, it's not a vintage Fender but neither is the price. The only bad thing about it was the cheap alloy trem block, but I replaced that with a steel one in no time at all. I can highly recommend the Classic Vibe models as very good quality & great value for money. If I was the bass player in my band, this is the model I would definitely go for.
Tony.
RUSSET

Postby bassboogie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Hi,

On Tony's recommendation I risked the wrath of SWMBO and am now the battered and bruised proud owner of a Classic Vibe fiesta red/tortoiseshell Squier P bass. At the price it's a very good instrument, well made and finished, the neck and headstock is laquered. It has a high mass bridge and the saddles are large round brass barrels with guide rails. I've played it through my AC30 bass amp, Ampeg 600, Roger Allcocks custom AC30 and an enormous Marshall bass rig and it sounds as good as any P bass to my ear. I've not replaced the roundwound strings so have not tried it with flatwounds. It's got plenty of bottom end, even with the roundwounds.
Downside, and this is really my personal preference, the neck is painfully thin, by that I mean the C,D or V profile or whatever that means. But that seems to be the way with modern basses. With roundwounds the fifth fret on the G string has no flat spot and that is a big plus for a P bass.

For anyone looking for an off the shelf Shadows P bass this must be good news and a good choice for anyone starting to play bass.

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby rogera » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:26 am

Luigi, you are soon going to need an extra room in the house for that rapidly expanding guitar collection of yours! ;) :)
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Return to Bass and Bass Players