Fender Jazz/Precision - tonal differences?

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Fender Jazz/Precision - tonal differences?

Postby Martyn » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:32 am

Just started taking an interest in bass guitar and have been peering at some of the threads discussing their necks and pickups etc. Can anyone clarify the differences in tonal qualities of these two designs - is one better than the other for specific musical style or is is just a matter of personal taste? Are their titles significant in playability and if,like me, you had small hands, would that have a serious bearing on your choice?
Thanks,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Re: Fender Jazz/Precision - tonal differences?

Postby rogera » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:17 am

I'm not a bass player, but I do know that the neck of the Jazz is physically smaller than the P Bass and so would be better for those with smaller hands.

I believe that the Jazz also has a wider tonal range having two pickups, but after saying that the P bass has always been more popular.

I'm sure that you will get some answers from bass players who are in a better position to comment.
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby Martyn » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:55 am

'morning Roger - you're up brighter and earlier than me!

I've noted a couple of threads where a Jazz neck's been fitted to a Precision body and I'm guessing that aside from possibly speedier playability that fingers, arm length and general stature of the player might be significant. It always looks a little odd to me when a short person (like me) is seen playing a very long-necked bass and having recently tried one for a few tracks I found I had neck/left shoulder ache some while later. I also wasn't prepared for its weight :o , which may also have contributed somewhat to the aches and pains.
Martyn

Postby Jay Bass » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:30 am

Martyn wrote:Just started taking an interest in bass guitar and have been peering at some of the threads discussing their necks and pickups etc. Can anyone clarify the differences in tonal qualities of these two designs - is one better than the other for specific musical style or is is just a matter of personal taste? Are their titles significant in playability and if,like me, you had small hands, would that have a serious bearing on your choice?
Thanks,
Martyn

Hi Martyn
The Main differences between A Jazz & Precision Bass Are the Neck Widths And Pick up / vol /tone controls
The Standard Jazz Bass neck is Smaller In Width, though Fender Have made Precision Basses With Jazz bass Size Necks
And Called Them various Models, Special etc You can Also Get precision basses With The Extra Jazz pick up etc.
i have played and owned many jazz & precision Basses, and have not realy found it a problem switching between both.
THe Precision Bass Has a Sinle pick up, the Jazz Has two, But You can Get The same sounds Out of Both basses Using
Your Amp settings, as for size of the neck its just a matter of getting used to a bass neck.
i am 5 5" And never Had a problem With The Neck sizes.

Regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby George Geddes » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:34 am

Squier P Basses have slimmer necks, similar to a Jazz. I have small hands and play a candy apple red Affinity P Bass which is fine, though the new Classic Vibe model is very tempting...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Martyn » Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:25 pm

Jay Bass wrote:... as for size of the neck its just a matter of getting used to a bass neck.
i am 5 5" And never Had a problem With The Neck sizes.
Regards
Jay

Hi Jay,
I'm maybe 1" taller so that's useful info. Do you find the Jazz neck easier to play, given its more compact dimensions?
Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Postby Jay Bass » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:06 pm

Hi Jay,
I'm maybe 1" taller so that's useful info. Do you find the Jazz neck easier to play, given its more compact dimensions?
Regards,
Martyn[/quote]

Hi Martyn
I Dont realy find One is easier than the other They are just Different
Its a bit like Playing a strat, Then changing to a Gibson, they are different But You Adapt
I have The reverse Situation, when i play a Strat Or 6 string guitar the Strings And frets seem Realy Close together
I think it is Just a matter Of Playing and practicing .
i dont know if there is any significant difference weight wise, between precision & Jazz Basses?
i certainly notice The Difference in weight When I change from precision To the Burns.

Jay
Jay Bass

Postby Jay Bass » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:14 pm

George Geddes wrote:Squier P Basses have slimmer necks, similar to a Jazz. I have small hands and play a candy apple red Affinity P Bass which is fine, though the new Classic Vibe model is very tempting...

George

Hi George
The Squier Classic Vibe precision Looks Great, right colour, & scratchplate, neck etc
Does it come with Flat Or round Wound strings?
has anyone tried one at all?

regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Postby bassboogie » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:53 pm

Hi All,

The Squier classic vibe P bass has roundwounds.

For me the neck is rather thin, it's what I think they call modern C shape and very similar to a Noel Redding J bass I have. I too am a small man but would strongly suggest you pop into a shop and try both P and J types and decide which is best for you. I prefer a thick, chunky neck and these are found on the earlier (1997 ish Squier Affinity basses), the more recent Squiers all have what I call thin necks. I started with thin necks for the same reason as you but now much prefer "tree trunks". So I always say "try before you buy", guitars are very personal things and what suits one may not necessarily suit another. Soundwise unless you are Marcus Miller or Jaco for us lesser mortals there is very little difference between P and J basses.

I hope the moderators are reading this thread because I notice that Roger Allcock has stated that he does not know much about bass playing, well I have pages and pages of superb basslines he has written, Mr Allcock knows an awful lot about bass playing, so will the moderators please remove his comments, forthwith.

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby Martyn » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:24 pm

bassboogie wrote:Hi All,

The Squier classic vibe P bass has roundwounds.
For me the neck is rather thin, it's what I think they call modern C shape and very similar to a Noel Redding J bass I have. I too am a small man but would strongly suggest you pop into a shop and try both P and J types and decide which is best for you. I prefer a thick, chunky neck and these are found on the earlier (1997 ish Squier Affinity basses), the more recent Squiers all have what I call thin necks. I started with thin necks for the same reason as you but now much prefer "tree trunks". So I always say "try before you buy", guitars are very personal things and what suits one may not necessarily suit another. Soundwise unless you are Marcus Miller or Jaco for us lesser mortals there is very little difference between P and J basses.
Regards, Luigi

Hi Luigi,
Glad you're around and trust you're well - and I take your point about trying them first. Thanks also to everyone who's responded to my novice bass playing enquiries.

Whilst researching I've been cecking out a few sound samples posted on the web and at first listening there doesn't seem to be a notable difference in the sounds of a Squier Precision and a much more expensive Fender version (when playing identical samples). Visually, some of the more expensive guitars do look a cut above the rest on close inspection but tonally I'm not quite so sure - early days yet so once I've tried a few my opinions may well change.
I imagine, though, in much the same manner as with my strats, there must be quality of workmanship, pickups/electrics etc variables but whilst I'm acclimatising my lugholes to bass guitar nuances, I've been quite impressed with some of the baseline (sorry - no pun intended) guitars' sounds. I suppose this is similar to my previous experiences trying a Biffy Clyro Squier strat at £250 alongside a Custom Shop £1500 jobbie and actually preferring the sound of the Squier. Maybe cost isn't always to be relied upon as a potential purchase guide . . . :|

Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Next

Return to Bass and Bass Players