Diamonds

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Diamonds

Postby davidturner » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi everyone, Does anyone have any idea as to where I could get a copy of 'Diamonds' in Bass sheet music or in tab? I have asked a few bass players and seem to be having difficulty in getting it. Many thanks if you can help.
David.
davidturner

Re: Diamonds

Postby George Geddes » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:40 pm

Is it just the bass line you want? Or are you planning to play the lead line on a bass...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby davidturner » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:48 pm

I did not realise there is two ways of playing it. If thats the case I will set a new personal challenge and try to learn both! if I can get the sheet music.
many thanks David.
davidturner

Postby George Geddes » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:01 pm

Well, there's not really two ways of playing it. I have heard it done with a bass as a lead instrument, but it doesn't really work IMHO. It should be played on a guitar!

There's lead and chord tab on Goran's site http://goran.tangring.com/ but I haven't tried them so can't comment on the accuracy...

George
George Geddes

Postby RayL » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:47 am

Listening to the original played loud on full-range speakers, there is a bass guitar playing a four-to-the bar bass line but it is very low in the mix and the bass drum also plays four-to-the-bar (with full front skin, hence a 'boom' rather than a 'thud') so the two are virtually one sound most of the time.

The lead line (played, I am reliably informed by Jim N., on a Jaguar tuned down to D) is complimented by the second guitar part (was it also Jim who told me that this was played by Big Jim Sullivan?). It's this second guitar part that is often missing when the number is played live and the tune loses a lot when it is not there.

George Geddes wrote: I have heard it done with a bass as a lead instrument, but it doesn't really work IMHO. It should be played on a guitar!
George

For anyone with a copy of the Pipeline 2004 Convention DVD, Ted Harvey of The Packabeats plays Diamonds on his bass guitar in the key of E (rather than the D of the original), but Ted plays it around the 5th fret ie in the same register that it would be on a guitar. Ted then adds a touch of flanger to make the sound swirl a little and Malcolm on guitar plays a combination of chords and second lead phrases. Sounds good to me!

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby George Geddes » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:55 am

Ray

It was indeed the case that 'live' Jet played Diamonds and Scarlett O'Hara on a de-tuned Jaguar. However, there was some discussion on the board - possibly sparked by a comment from Jet himself - that the guitar on the record was in fact a Gretsch!

Mr Nugent and I have had deep discussion on the past about the guitar sound on these two records, and indeed on Song of Mexico, Tony's disc. We really need to get out more.

Still don't like Diamonds played on a 4-string bass...

George
George Geddes

Postby rogera » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:01 am

I don't doubt that Diamonds was indeed played on a detuned Jaguar but there is a cheaper alternative that gives a very similar sound and doesn't involve detuning the guitar.

Some while ago I used a Danelectro baritone which allowed playing the number in the original key of D. After listening to it again now and comparing it to the original I realise that in my mix the lead is not far forward enough, but the sound is not far away to my ears.

Diamonds
rogera

Full Real Name: Roger Allcock

Postby George Geddes » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:26 am

Roger

Footage of Jet at the NME concert playing a Jaguar is on YouTube (mind you he also plays Big Bad Bass on a Jaguar on that occasion...)

George
George Geddes

Postby George Geddes » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:30 am

George Geddes

Postby JimN » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:32 pm

I always assumed that Jet recorded Diamonds with the Fender Jaguar that he used live with the Jet/Tony/Diamonds outfit and later (for a short time at least) with The Innocents, after the split from Tony. This made a lot of sense in the absence of better information; after all, the Jaguar was clearly a "different version" of the Bass VI used by Jet on Besame Mucho and Main Title Theme. Additionally, I'm fairly sure that I recall Jet referring to his detuned guitar on TV appearances in early 1963 and motioning towards the Jaguar he was holding - which I interpreted as confirmation that this was the guitar in question. What else would the viewer think?

But I was informed by George Geddes - at least ten years ago now - that he had heard from a reliable source that the guitar on the record(s) was a Gretsch, detuned, as stated above by others and quoting Jet, into Bb (that is: D G C F A D). This meant that Diamonds, played by the player in Em, comes out in Dm, and that Scarlett O'Hara, played in A, sounds in G. I assume the Gretsch guitar was hired or borrowed for the session(s).

As it happens (and some will know what I'm getting at here), I hear a different guitar on Scarlett O'Hara from the one used on Diamonds. The whole sound of the instrument is altogether distinct from the sound of the previous record. So I don't think that it is the Gretsch on that one. Let me add that I have owned (and in some cases, still own) examples of all of the guitars mentioned above and also of the model I think to be a better candidate for the Scarlett O'Hara sound.

I think that much of the debate on which sort of instrument sounds better for Diamonds arises out of potential confusion as to what sort of guitar was played on each of the Jet and Jet/Tony record. As near as we can be certain, here's the list:

Besame Mucho (1962): Fender Bass VI
Main Title Theme (1962): Fender Bass VI

This was the end of Jet's original use of the Fender Bass VI apart from Man From Nowhere.

Diamonds (1963): Electric guitar tuned in Bb
Scarlett O'Hara (1963): Electric guitar tuned in Bb
Applejack (1963): Acoustic guitar tuned normally (possibly a Harmony Sovereign, which Jet was pictured using for promo appearances)

That was the end of the Jet / Tony partnership.

Big Bad Bass (1964): a six-string bass of some sort - possibly a Vox custom model (Jet appeared on TV at the time, mining to BBB using a sunburst Vox with white scratchplate).

Incidentally, and for completeness, B-sides:

Chills And Fever, Some People, Footstomp, (Doing The) Hully Gully - I have no reason to suppose that Jet plays an instrument on any of those four vocals.

The Tall Texan - acoustic guitar (probably same one as used for Applejack).
Rifka - electric guitar.

I suspect that most use of a bass guitar to play any of Jet's tunes is an attempt to get close to the Fender Bass VI sound in the absence of a Fender Bass VI. But the Bass VI or six-string bass is only relevant to four of Jet's Decca recordings in any event, and not to any of the Jet/Tony discs.

HTH,

JN
Last edited by JimN on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Next

Return to Bass and Bass Players