Haynes Fender Bass Manual

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Haynes Fender Bass Manual

Postby bassboogie » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi,

Just got my copy of this lovely book. The repair bits are very good. Even better is the section on Key Bass Players and Jet Harris is there with all the other world class bass players. There is also a foreward by Carol Kaye who must rank amongst the best.
The author is Paul Balmer and together with Haynes they should be congratulated on an useful technical manual and a brief but accurate history of the players who were so influential in making the Fender basses famous, including Jet.

Don't wait for Xmas, it comes packed in a small square box and S or HWMBO will be very pleased you have only bought a book and not another guitar.

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Re: Haynes Fender Bass Manual

Postby George Geddes » Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:23 pm

Yes, well up to the standard of the first three volumes.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:53 pm

Hi all.
Exactly as you say Luigi, George, a very good read. Its a must for anyone interested in Bass guitars, not just Fender Bass guitars.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby George Geddes » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:27 pm

Mine arrived just before I was about to perform minor surgery on my Squier Affinity P Bass. I felt that the single ply white scratchplate as out of character and looked really cheap. I swithered about a replacement, but finally decided on a simple white/black/white three-ply one (from Highly Strung). Thanks to the book, I knew that the bass pickups, unlike a Strat, are screwed into the body.

The screw holes match but the pickup holes didn't! Nothing that a wee bit of careful filing couldn't fix. I'm sure the book, as well as being a good read, will prove invaluable for further tinkering...

George
George Geddes

Postby RUSSET » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:58 am

Just received a copy as an Xmas present. As I have the first three Haynes Guitar manuals, I am pleased to add this one to the set. From a cursory glance through it, it looks superb, so I now have my Xmas reading sorted.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby JimN » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:46 am

Seen page 156 (on the Fender Bass VI)?

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby George Geddes » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:41 pm

Jim

Will you sign my copy at Easter?

George
George Geddes

Postby Paulps » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:05 pm

After reading the posts here, I looked for this book on Amazon, ordered it on Monday 27th, received it Thursday 30th, and got into surgery on my Farida FJB6 straight away. (I think the FJB stands for Fender Jazz Bass, as it is a clone). Thanks to this book, I have lowered the action, and corrected the slight intonation problem, for less than half of the cost of my local guitar mechanic, and I still have the book, which is a good read, as well as a great step-by-step guide to minor repairs. What I have learned can also be applied to my Strat, but I might even splash out on the guide to that as well.
Thanks to all who have brought this book to my attention.
Paulps

Return to Bass and Bass Players