bass sound effect pedal help

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

bass sound effect pedal help

Postby davidturner » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Does anyone know what all of these effect pedals do? They all have a function or sound that they produce. But the name af them tells me nothing about what they do to the sound, I havnt a clue!!! I enjoy learning/playing the bass, but using a solid state type amp (Stagg DB60 60w amp) does not create 'that sound you get from a valve amp. I would like to try and get the valve amp type sound but am unable to afford one. Does anyone know if there is an effect pedal out there that might get me somewhere close?
Keep plucking!! David.
davidturner

Re: bass sound effect pedal help

Postby RayL » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:14 pm

Before we get into effects pedals, please describe the difference that you can detect between a valve bass amp and a solid state amp?

The only fair comparison would be with same bass guitar plugged alternately into the two types of amp head, which would be used alternately into the same loudspeaker. The amps would have to be of the same RMS wattage and things like compressors (often found in solid state bass amps) would have to be turned off. Under those conditions a comparison of the two types of amp would start to have some meaning.

As far as the sound produced by effects pedals is concerned, try before you buy - which means going to a real shop, rather than buying blind over the internet. Or if you have a suitable friend (or can get to a Shadows club) they way be able to help you get aquainted with what particular effects sound like.

Ray L
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby davidturner » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:14 pm

This may be difficult for me as I am quite new to bass playing. I find my own rig either too sharp or dull sounding. If I play around with the compression control, (I dont even know what it is supposed to do!!!!!) I find it does pretty much nothing. When it comes to the three other controls, high, mid and bass, it seems to make it sharper or duller. If I try to sofen it, I find that the sound becomes soft, dead or flat, as if you covered the speaker with a few blankets.If sharpened I think you could cut glass with it. I am not sure what is used at the club apart from it is some sort of valve amp head unit and a Vox speaker. With that setup I can hear the initial string pluck, quite 'punchy' (i use a pick) and then the sound is very smooth but not soft or dull. I dont know if I have been able to explain it too clearly but I hope this helps.
Many thanks David.
davidturner

Postby RayL » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:49 am

The differences that you are hearing are due to a whole range of things. I can't find a Stagg DB60 in the current Stagg range. Would it be similar to the current Stagg 60BA? (60w Combo, 12" speaker, B, M & T controls, compressor)
http://www.imuso.co.uk/Amplifiers/Ampli ... fier-Combo
If it is, then already you are talking about a difference in loudspeaker quality. Mr Stagg can't afford to spend too much of his budget on an expensive bass-handling loudspeaker if the whole amplifier is only going to cost about £100. Is the Vox loudspeaker in a bigger box? That will also make a difference.

The effect of the compressor in your amp will only be apparent if you play it loudly. Its function is to stop the amplifier from going into harsh distortion by 'compressing' the peak sound levels into something that the amplifier can manage. It also protects the loudspeaker, but it does reduce the dynamics that the player can use as a form of expression. However, some players like it because it enables them to play at a more consistant level, never too loud, never too soft.

As your amp is designed as a bass amp, you should get a satisfactory sound with all the tone controls in their mid-position. Don't forget that a bass guitar is not an instrument to be played in isolation, so hearing it in a group context may make it sound different as it blends with other instruments (and you'll be playing it loudly, which is what the speaker is designed to do). Also, if the amp is new and hasn't been used at any great volume, then the speaker cone surround hasn't been flexed very much. A bit of 'running in' at good volume will help to 'loosen up' the speaker and may improve the sound.

In the end it comes down to educating your ears so that you know what you are listening to and can work out how to improve it. You may well end up with a more expensive amp/speaker but simply changing to valves or using an effects pedal is not going to make the difference that you hope for.

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Postby Jay Bass » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:49 am

Hi David
The Valve / Solid state Issue is a different matter when considering bass amps .
its more of a power issue rather than tone and overall sound colour.
trying to make your 60w amp with a 12" speaker sound like a 300w amp with a 15" speaker wont work.
the 12" speaker simply cannot shift the same amount of air.
rather than waste money on effects pedals, why not upgrade the amp there are some good mid priced
bass combos around.
peavey, ashdown,ampeg,fender to name just a few
A 60w bass combo with 1x12"speaker is probably ok for practice, and maybe a small sized low volume gig.
but it will never give you enough power unless it is put through a pa system etc.

regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby des mcneill » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi Guys,
At the club David uses my bass rig,normally old AC50,foundation cab with either Rcf 15" or Vox 18" speaker. Sometimes I use my Boogie 400+ head instead. David's sound at the club is fine,- he will never get that sound with his own amp. I myself,however, am not a fan of tranny amps,I also have an Ashdown ABM which I don't use, just can't get a sound I like. I would agree the difference between valve and tranny amps is more pronounced with guitars than basses,but as yet I haven't found another one I would buy,- tried a Mark bass head once but it stopped after about 10 minutes and I just left it at that. When it comes to bass amps,especially speakers,size really matters.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby bassboogie » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Hi David,

I think you have had some good advice. All I would like to say is I did have an Ampworks bass effect gadget made by Korg some years ago. It was claimed to mimick, amongst others the Vox Ac's 30, 50 and 100 with various speaker combinations. It did not really make much difference through smaller amps, they did not sound like good solid state, hybrid or valve amps. Your best bet is change the amp, as and when you can. Take your bass to a guitar shop and try various amps, the ones Jay suggests are a good starting point.

Kind regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby cockroach » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:45 pm

Try a set of flatwound bass strings first...
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Good points from everyone above.

I think the cab is crucial. Personally I do use an Ashdown ABM with Ashdown cabs and can get pretty much any sound I wantI've also tried the same cab with a Behringer copy amp and it did the job almost as well. Geoff Strachan once suggested to me that 300w and a 1x15 cab was a good baseline for a tranny set-up in a medium size hall. Anything less and you will begin to lose something. I have found this to be good advice.

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:12 pm

By the way I have also experimented with Bass FX pedals over the years and use them less and less. I agree that a bit of compression smooths out your playing. It's also nice to have special settings for, say, Kon-Tiki or Bombay Duck. But apart from that, the rig itself, the instrument and your playing style are the keys to your sound.

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Next

Return to Bass and Bass Players