New Squier Classic Vibe '50s P. Bass

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

New Squier Classic Vibe '50s P. Bass

Postby RUSSET » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:13 pm

I have just noticed that Squier have issued a rather nice version of the original Fender P.Bass in Butterscotch Blonde (like the first Tele/Broadcaster models), with single coil pickup & Tele-style headstock. Very '50s Rock 'N Roll, with a nice Maple fingerboard & a 'Hi-Mass' Brass saddled bridge. It's part of the excellent Classic Vibe series, so should be great quality & good value for money.

Tony.
RUSSET

Re: New Squier Classic Vibe '50s P. Bass

Postby RUSSET » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:51 am

I have now succumbed & bought the above Squier Classic Vibe 50s P. Bass. I guess I have a nostalgia thing about the music from that late 50s - early 60s period. It is the Butterscotch blonde with black scratchplate model, although it is also available in Lake placid Blue. It is equal in quality to the rest of it's excellent 'Classic Vibe' series brothers. When I first opened the cardboard box in which it arrived, I was a little concerned as there appeared to be a lot of fret-buzz, but soon realised that there had been no attempt by Squier to do anything like a basic set-up on it before it was shipped. After tuning it up from the extreme slackness of the strings when it arrived, & adjusting the saddle heights & intonation, the neck obviously adopted the correct concave bow & it was perfect. It has a Pine body, which shows through the partially transparent Butterscotch paint, revealing vertical striped woodgrain. The Black scratchplate is quite thick, which i quite like, as there will be no chance of warping. The Maple neck is excellent & the nut of good quality. The Headstock is in the Telecaster style, with a 50s style round string retainer for the D & G strings. The jack socket is on the side of the body & is similar in type to that of a Tele. The Tone & Volume pots are good & work really well, particularly the Tone pot. The Bridge is a very nice High Mass, solid chromed unit with four big brass saddles. There is no 'String-thru-body' set-up. The pickup is a single-coil unit with flat polepieces, very much like a bridge pickup in a Tele. The exposed coil windings have been wrapped in black insulating tape, so no problem there.
It comes with a set of basic round-wound bass strings, which, being new, are quite 'Twangy' at present, but I guess will mellow with time. I will install a set of flats in due course, to reduce fret wear if nothing else. The quality Tone control has quite a tonal range & can give tones ranging from the lower end of a piano to a nice mellow deep smooth thump.
The action is great & the feel of the vintage stained neck is really good. Unlike the original slab-bodied Fender '51 P. Bass that Leo actually invented, which it models, it actually has nice rounded body edges & body contours like the later P.Bass models that we are more familiar with. Let's put this instrument into perspective. It is made in China by Squier, & cost me £299 ! The equivalent US Fender Vintage Reissue would cost .... er £1,400 ?? Someone tell me. This is a perfectly servicable 50s P, Bass which looks great & plays well. No, it's not exactly Shads, but it is definately in the 50s vibe. See old photos of Gene Vincent's 'Blue Caps', the Treniers, Little Richard's band etc., etc. Gentlemen, I recommend it for your consideration.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby bassboogie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi All,

Never mind amps, I must just add my delight at the Butterscotch Squier 50's P bass. For the money it's superb all lacquered, magnificent finish and mine played beatifully straight out the box. I bought a set of flatwounds to replace the Fender strings but have not bothered to change them as it plays so well as is, no flat notes on the G string and plenty of bottom end. Just add a 50's bridge cover. I must say it's one of the best "Fenders" I own and anyone wondering, should I, you will not be disappointed.

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby RUSSET » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:22 pm

Well done Luigi. It's a fabulous bass for the price. I would love the '60s one in Fiesta Red too, but I can't justify it as I don't even play bass in my band. You'll playing Jerry Lee Lewis & Little Richard songs on it within a few weeks; mark my words.

Tony.
RUSSET

Return to Bass and Bass Players