Teabox, broomstick and string

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Teabox, broomstick and string

Postby bassboogie » Sat May 14, 2011 8:35 pm

Hi All,

Just a thought.

I wonder if anyone, including some of the Shads bassplayers or others started playing with a teabox bass ? I'm in the process of making a fiesta red teabox, tortoise shell broom stick and experimenting with various strings. That's how I started and they have many advantages compared to bass guitars. For example you don't have to have any musical ability and they always play in tune, which I find very helpful. Anyone know of any modern bass players who use them, or any memories or stories about these career launching instruments ?

If not we will go on to the double bass.

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Re: Teabox, broomstick and string

Postby Paul Creasey » Sat May 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi, Luigi

As a spotty teenager (MANY years ago!) I too constructed and played a Tea Chest Bass. I was in the Air Training Corps and we put together a scratch Skiffle Group for a Christmas Party in about 1960. Somebody told us that "The girls ALWAYS go for the lads in the band" - so we just HAD to have a band!
I didn't get a girl out of that escapade, and was so good (not!) at playing the Bass that I gave up and started playng drums!!

Regards
Paul.

P.S.......Not that I ever tried it, but your Teabox Bass MUST be Fiesta Red - I'm told by all the guitarists I know, that it makes ALL the difference!!
Paul Creasey

Return to Bass and Bass Players