John Paul Jones

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

John Paul Jones

Postby Gatwick1946 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Very impressed by Seasick Steve on Later with Jools Holland the other night.( 3 strings, beat up old guitar, tiny amp, sings like he means it). Blow me, on bass was none other than John Paul Jones playing a lovely fiesta red precision bass, complete with both ashtrays. Looked him up on Wiki.He was in Jet Harris and Tony Meehans' backing band at the tender age of 16, and later there was some talk that he was to take the bass chair in the Shadows after Brian Locking left. Wow what effect would that have had on the Shadows, as he is a talented multi instrumentalist and composer/arranger? But no Led Zep? Perhaps in an alternate universe?

Never seen him with a precision bass before. It even had the tortoiseshell scratch-plate, just like Jets' in the 'classic, all red fender lineup'. I somehow got the impression that it was a sort of understated tribute to Jet. I could feel the hairs rising on the back of my neck.

Definitely worth seeing if they plan to do any gigs. Another example of artists who one associates with different styles, but who play together well.

Chris Hill
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Re: John Paul Jones

Postby RUSSET » Tue May 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Yes, Chris, what a coup for Seasick Steve. I too was amazed to see J P Jones on Jules Holland gigging for him. You can get a reasonable budget copy of that Fender bass in the same colours, now. It is the Squier 'Classic Vibe' '50s P. Bass, & is reputed to be an excellent version at a great price. I understand they sell for around £300-350 & are current range. This 'CV' series bats well above it's price, & shouldn't be disdained because of it's Squier logo or Chinese origin.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Jay Bass » Tue May 24, 2011 6:23 pm

Brilliant
here it is for anyone who missed it
Jay

Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby Gatwick1946 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:46 pm

Following your advice Tony, I called in today at Andertons in Guildford and asked to try the Squier Classic Vibe 60's Precision Bass. They had one in a very nice shade of fiesta red with the tortoiseshell scratchplate. I was very inpressed with it, in particular the neck, which was nice and slim and not too chunky. I also had a look at the Squier Jaguar bass, which I had not heard of before. After some deliberation decided on the Precision Bass-I really think they have got the vintage styling and colour just right. The price was a very reasonable £319. Next step is to fit the ashtrays!

Chris
Gatwick1946

Full Real Name: Christopher Richard Hill

Return to Bass and Bass Players