Bass Amp - Any Advice?

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Bass Amp - Any Advice?

Postby MMStingray54 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:49 am

NatJag wrote:Thanks MMStingray54,
How do you think the Ampeg compares to your rig volume wise. I've heard yours at the Bewick suit and thought your bass cut across really well without being boomy, a great sound actually. Part of that is possibly due to the sound of the Stingray bass, which does cut through the mix well. I did hear someone else there with a TC rig which just sounded boomy, although part could be the way he'd set his EQ of course.

Problem is sometimes, trying in a shop isn't the same as a real life gig situation.

Hi Nathan, yes I believe the PF500 produces similar volume and clear bass sound. It has a useful compressor and various EQ presets also.

Thanks for your kind comments about the sound at Bewicks - bear in mind I used two 2 x 10s there, both with tweeters - the tweeter was turned off on one cabinet and boosted a touch on the other - however the amp output control never got above 11 o clock. Also, the bass amp was DId into the PA - The markbass has a very useful feature - as well as an XLR Di out, it has an extra volume control which allows you to control the volume of the signal you send to the FOH mixer. As you say, the Stingray can cut through the mix well but I had the mutes engaged on the strings and the strings were 12 months old, plus I play a lot of the material near the neck joint to get 'the thump'! So the Stingray's legendary treble shimmer was not in use!!

I tried a number of lightweight set ups at GAK in Brighton - they have a large bass department and a booth - if you go on a week day it's quiet and if you phone in advance and tell them what you want to try they may be willing to get it from their extensive warehouse for you - I even took my Stingray fretless as I wasn't sure how these rigs would fare with 10" neo speakers for my swing band gigs - as you say, it's difficult to tell in a shop but the guy was quite happy for me to turn the amps up and try different combinations of speakers.

Best of luck with your purchase, anyway.

BTW I have seen bands using Fender Jazz and Precisions using both the Ampeg and Markbass equipment and they sound great through them. As Iain P has said, Alan Jones uses a Markbass (with 1 x 15 cabinet) and the performance I've seen on video from Shadowmania sounds very good.
MMStingray54

Full Real Name: Don Vann

Previous

Return to Bass and Bass Players