Bass Amp - Any Advice?

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Bass Amp - Any Advice?

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:07 am

My MarkBass is too new but Alan Jones has used his a lot. Maybe Robbo can advise? Also Nick Smith was until recently a long term MarkBass user so you could ask him. He recently switched to Vanderkley because he thinks they are even better. I have got a Vanderkley 12" ext cab for my MarkBass combo on the strength of Nick's advice and it certainly does the biz at gigs. I'd talk to bassdirect about all this, they know all this gear.

Best wishes - I
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby David Martin » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:00 am

Bass Direct are ace... they supplied my Genz Benz rig and Esh bass. An awesome combination...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby shadowmaniacs » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:06 am

Usually using an old VOX AC 50 ... this amp is very heavy to transport and now I just bought a TC Electronics head BH 250 (.... 1,3 kg !!) and a 2 x12" cabinet. (20kg) .
Very great loud bass sound and 2 inside effects possible with TonePrint. Di output included pré or post.
Not very expensive : 600.00 euros !!

Michel
Bassist on french bands SHOTGUN Ltd. ( Shadows cover band ) & APOLLO 11 ( Spotnicks cover band ).
shadowmaniacs

Full Real Name: Michel HENAUX

Postby Jay Bass » Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:49 pm

NatJag wrote:I've been looking to get a new bass amp.
The only problem I have is what fits in my boot, its not that deep approx 14 1/2 inches
I've been looking at the Ampeg PF range and wonder how powerful they are in a real world situation.
Someone else had told me that the baffle on the Mass Bass cabs, soon break as they are only made from a light wood like balsa wood. Which with constant moving about from putting in a boot etc soon weakens it. Any long term users of Mark Bass out there can advise?

Hi Nathan
if its realy down to cab size try the the orange sp210 or sp212, they are small cabs with loads of power.
rather than the speakers side by side they are fitted one in front of the other
the 2x 12 measures approx inches H 18.5 W15.6 D14.96.

regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby NatJag » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks for your input guys.

I spoke to Nick (via Facebook)

shadowmaniacs - someone else also suggested TC electronics, who had just purchased a set-up himself. Which 2x12 cab did you get, the BC212 or RS212, they do 2 that I can see.

Jay - have you tried the orange cabs? I'm not sure about the colour, which does put me off a little.
NatJag

Postby Jay Bass » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:22 pm

HI Nathan
i have a bass playing friend who uses the 2 x 10 with a orange tiny terror amp and precision bass
seems to get a nice deep sound, clear , for a 2x10 i havent tried or seen anyone use the 2x12.
they are also available with black vinyl if you prefer that to the orange coloured cabs.
regards
Jay
118737557-260x260-0-0_orange+amps+orange+amplifiers+sp+series+sp212+600w.jpg
118737557-260x260-0-0_orange+amps+orange+amplifiers+sp+series+sp212+600w.jpg (9.26 KiB) Viewed 13556 times
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby NatJag » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:48 pm

Thanks for that Jay, I shall check those out
NatJag

Postby shadowmaniacs » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:04 am

Hi Nathan,
Sorry to be late to reply, but I was attending the MUSIC MESSE in Francfort for 4 days ( 105dB x 4 days x 8 hours !!!) :sick:

My cabinet is a BC 212. It sounds pretty good.
I'm playing with a Fender PB Bass reissue or a handcrafted japanese F.Red through a LEHLE Basswitch.
I'll try some TC Toneprints soon.

Michel
Bassist on french bands SHOTGUN Ltd. ( Shadows cover band ) & APOLLO 11 ( Spotnicks cover band ).
shadowmaniacs

Full Real Name: Michel HENAUX

Postby MMStingray54 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:10 pm

NatJag wrote:I've been looking to get a new bass amp.
The only problem I have is what fits in my boot, its not that deep approx 14 1/2 inches
I've been looking at the Ampeg PF range and wonder how powerful they are in a real world situation.
Someone else had told me that the baffle on the Mass Bass cabs, soon break as they are only made from a light wood like balsa wood. Which with constant moving about from putting in a boot etc soon weakens it. Any long term users of Mark Bass out there can advise?

The PF500 is plenty loud enough with one cabinet for small to medium sized venues (my son has one, and I know someone else who has one and uses two PF cabs - the latter sounds too loud to me as an audience member). The Markbass Little Mark 3 (which I use) produces similar power - both are 500 watts at 8 ohms, so produce about 350 through one cabinet. The power of these things is very deceptive as the speaker cabinets are designed to project the sound - they sound fabulous in the audience - it is also possible to drown the entire band and PA if you're not careful, particularly if using two cabinets.

I have used a Markbass 210HF standard with a Little Mark 3 for over a year for all gigs (Cliff and Shads tribute; function band; modern jazz/funk/blues band; occassional swing band gigs), and there have been no issues whatsoever - it's built like a tank in my opinion - the 210 Traveller is even more compact. It produces deep bassy sound if you wish, but also can produce a sound which is excellent for R and B pop and slap style (not really relevant to Shadows music, but just indicates the flexibility).

There is a particular sound associated with an Ampeg stack and a Precision bass - the PF nails that sound in my opinion from having heard one used live - they are also a good studio or practice amp (headphone socket) - the result from a studio session I've heard is very impressive indeed. For us older guys, a rig which you can carry in either hand and will fill the room with rich bass sound - without getting a hernia - is great - and something which would have been considered utopia and unachievable 40 yrs ago :D

An alternative range of lightweight cabinets which bassists rave about is the Barefaced range - worth checking out.
MMStingray54

Full Real Name: Don Vann

Postby NatJag » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:55 pm

Thanks MMStingray54,
How do you think the Ampeg compares to your rig volume wise. I've heard yours at the Bewick suit and thought your bass cut across really well without being boomy, a great sound actually. Part of that is possibly due to the sound of the Stingray bass, which does cut through the mix well. I did hear someone else there with a TC rig which just sounded boomy, although part could be the way he'd set his EQ of course.

Problem is sometimes, trying in a shop isn't the same as a real life gig situation.
NatJag

PreviousNext

Return to Bass and Bass Players