BASS DAY UK 2011

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

BASS DAY UK 2011

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi all.
It's here again another fantastic day out for bass players. Very well organised, super venue.
Regards Geoff.http://www.bassday.co.uk/
Geoff Alderton LH

Re: BASS DAY UK 2011

Postby bassboogie » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:06 pm

Hi Geoff,

Must agree a fantastic day.
Apart from all the gorgeous gear, which you can try, it's the sheer thrill of listening and talking to some of the planets best bass players.

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:11 am

Hi all
Just a quick reminder to all you bass guitar and guitar fan's out there, that "Bass Day UK" is on this Sunday, 6Nov, at the "Band On The Wall" venue Manchester. Doors open twelve noon. Master Class and Q & A session with Marcus Miller. Last year was a great event this year promises to be even better.
See you there.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:41 pm

Hi all.
Well , lots of one hundred miles per hr bass playing, lots of five and six string bases, lots and lots of noise and lots of people of all ages. A good turnout for a great day’s bass playing and this was only in the lobby where the trade had their stalls setup.
Inside the main stage area it was a bit more organised but still full. I managed to grab a stool up on the balcony so a pretty good view of the proceedings.
First up was a six string man Phill Mann completely unaccompanied. He played a super arraignment of Claptons “Tears in Heaven “He played the bass lines with his thumb and the melody with his other four fingers.
Things got much louder and faster when Nigel Clutterbucks, from RotoSound, came on stage. He was accompanied by a super drummer Greg Morgan. Clutterbucks set was based on his association with RotoSound and how he developed his style of playing and the advantages of using stainless steel strings for playing rock. Throuout the show RotoSound four, five and six string sets were thrown out into the audience and at twenty to forty pounds a set several hundred pounds worth came flying through the air, unfortunately none landed in the balcony.
I had heard of Jah Wobble but don’t know his music. The man is a great entertainer,comedien and a very, very good base player. His first words to the audience was; and I quote “hands up who think all guitarists are f*****g w*****s the place went wild. I think everyone in the auditorium put their hands up. His next line was; this is my old Ovation bass and as you can see it’s only got four strings. F**k all this five and six string rubbish I’m still finding new things to do with four. He then went onto demonstrate how important it is to work with the drummer , how important it is not to think just one, two, one two, one two. He was playing things with the drummer, I cant remember his name!! all way above my head, that sounded different but right. The Ashdown amp he was using blew up half way through the set. The guy is a genius.
Next up the star of the show Marcus Miller. Now I do know his music as I have two sons who are Miller fanatics. They have been all over UK and Europe to his gig’s. He had brought his original 1977 Fender Jazz Bass over to do his set. We all know how he had a Bartolini preamp fitted into his bass by Roger Sadowski , and a Badass bridge fitted. This is the MM Bass. After lots of request to play this and play that the subject eventually got round to the MM sound and is the Fender Japan Sig MM Bass as good as his original. He went on to say how the guitar had been sent to Japan where Fender Japan copied the guitar in every detail. A new preamp was designed for the sig model .Miller said the Jap MM Sig model is built exactly like his 77 and the neck is a perfect copy. The next question was, does it sound the same as your 77, the man who asked proceeded to take out his MM sig model out of his gig bag. Marcus asked, has it got DR strings on, yes, said the man. Miller took off his 77 and handed it to the man who then gave Marcus his Jap MM sig bass. It took Marcus two min to tune up, adjust his EBS amp and away he went into ten min of pure bass playing heaven. He commented on the Jap pickups saying they were a bit more powerful than his 77 but this can be sorted via the amp. I myself and the audience were convinced there was no difference in the sound. Must mention the drummer, Pat Illingworth, who again was fantastic. They hadn’t met before today when they walked out onto the stage. Miller had to ask his name to introduce him to the audience What a super day out. Can’t wait for next year.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Return to Bass and Bass Players