The Framus 5/150 Star Bass as used by Jet

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

The Framus 5/150 Star Bass as used by Jet

Postby '59BASSMAN » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:17 pm

Hi,
A few years ago I emailed Framus/Warwick and asked them, if they would consider releasing a re-issue of the 5/150 Star Bass as used by Jet, the Warwick custom shop (who own the Framus brand) kindly replied informing me that the re-release of the Star Bass was to be released the following year... jump forward a year... and although it is a nice instrument, the current Warwick Star Bass shares nothing in common to the original 5/150 other than the name. Jump forward to the present-day and after scouring the web for the best part of three years I have come to the conclusion that most of the Framus 5/150's must have suffered a similar fate to that of Jets i.e., damaged in the early 60's and binned due to a lack of repair shops.
In light of the fact that the 5/150 Star Bass is so elusive, I intend to have a go at making a replica from scratch incorporating as many original or re-issue parts as I can find.
I have found a few pictures of the same model Jet used, though not enough to draw scale plans from. Therefore if anybody in the Shadows community knows of any Framus 5/150 Star Bass for sale (in need of restoration or otherwise), has any decent pictures or technical specifications of the Framus 5/150 Star Bass, it would be most appreciated if you would let me know.
Below are a couple of links that most of you will have already seen, the first is a link showing the Framus Star Bass Jet is most associated with (I am reliably informed he used two different models the 5/150 and a white smaller bodied model... perhaps a 5/140?), the second link is an earlier model that shares the same finish as Jets bass, I think Framus are calling it brown shaded?
http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/mo ... D=83&cl=EN
http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/mo ... =83&cl=EN#

Any comments most appreciated.

Mark.
'59BASSMAN

Re: The Framus 5/150 Star Bass as used by Jet

Postby Jay Bass » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:59 am

Hi
Mark
There are a couple of Framus Star basses for sale on Ebay at the momment
A 1959 sunburst & a early 60's In Black (AKA Bill wyman) may be worth a look?
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories
Regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby '59BASSMAN » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:12 am

Hi Jay,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I did consider getting one of the later Bill Wyman versions like you have highlighted on eBay, and converting it to the earlier model Jet used. Unfortunately the problems that would be encountered in doing that, such as; re-shaping the treble cutaway, filling in the control panel holes and having to hide all of the work under a burst finish, would probably mean that it would be easier to start from scratch and build a replica. However, if there was some way of getting hold of the correct body specs of the earlier model and they were similar to the Bill Wyman model, then I would of course be able to use them in drawing up plans for a 'replica' bass.
I was informed yesterday that there might be a 'third bass' that Jet used before he switched to the Fender Precision... apparently on the back of the dust cover of Bruce's autobiography is a very small picture of Jet using a different bass to the one he is most associated with. I was always under the impression he just had the one Framus Bass, so when better informed people tell me that he had two and possibly three different models, I put my anorak on and study the few pictures I have even closer! All considered though, I think that the version in the link below is the one to go for as it is (except for a different pickguard attachment point, the headstock inlay, the lack of a Framus decal near the F hole, earthing strips or pickup supports to the bridge pickup??? and a piece of paper under the bridge pickup... slightly crimped on one corner!!!) identical to the one in Roberto's book;

http://www.framus-vintage.de/modules/mo ... D=83&cl=EN

Thanks once again.
Mark.
'59BASSMAN

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:40 pm

The story told of the demise of Jet's Framus is that it was leaning against a dressing room door when Tony burst in, sending the bass flying... That was the reason given for him no longer using them. That story may be quite wrong, but if it's right then it suggests either that there was only one Framus or that other Framuses had already suffered a similar fate!

I'm hoping that Jet is convalescing, reading this stuff and can maybe put us straight? If you are, we all wish you well Jet!

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby '59BASSMAN » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi Iain,
The story you refer to is correct... I used to work with Jet... his Framus bass was leaning against the dressing room door, the door was opened, the bass fell on to the floor and the headstock snapped off so Jet threw the bass into the skip! I must admit that I was always under the impression that he used only the one Framus bass and consequently never thought to ask him if he had any other instruments... but as I have explained earlier in this post, I have seen Jet playing two different instruments in various pictures and have been informed of a third white one so the mystery continues!

Cheers.

Mark.
'59BASSMAN

Postby '59BASSMAN » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:30 am

Hi,
Just an update on my request for any information regarding Jets' Framus Star Bass model 5/150... Well I managed to find one and best of all it is the correct model as used by Jet (the 5/150), however it will need some restoration work doing to bring it back to life as a clone of Jets sunburst 5/150..I spoke to Colin Pryce-Jones of The Rapiers last night... Colin was able to ask Jet a few questions about his Framus bass... Jet told Colin that in the early days of the Drifters/Shadows he in fact used three different Framus Star Bass; he owned two sunburst model 5/150's, an early one with the all chrome pickup (as seen in Roberto's book) and the version with the white centre on the pickup (as seen in the article in the link below), he also used an all white model 5/150 for some gigs (as seen in Bruce's book), though he borrowed the white bass from a friend... so that answers my earlier question. My next request is if anybody knows of any pictures of the Framus Star Bass 5/150... Jets' or otherwise... it would be appreciated if you can let me know where I might find them in order to help gather enough information for the restoration to begin, any quality will do as it might reveal things that other better quality pictures don't... as an example of why any pictures might help... I recently completed a full restoration of Colin Pryce-Jones' Antoria LG-50, the aim of the project was to re-create Hanks Antoria LG-50 by converting a standard LG-50 into the deluxe model that Hank used... in the end, whole restoration/conversion project was based on three photographs and no technical information!
So ANY information will be appreciated.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... -tour.html

Regards to all.
Mark.
'59BASSMAN

Postby dusty fretz » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:29 am

Hi Mark,
Two books on Framus have recently been published by the company, which is part of the Warwick organisation of course. One is entitled 'Framus - Built In The Heart Of Bavaria' and the other is called 'Framus Vintage'. The first deals with the history of the company, while the latter is essentially a catalogue of the exhbits currently amassed in the Framus Museum. Both books are hardback, weighty works, packed with informative text and loads of useful, high quality pictures. Naturally the Star bass features prominently. I believe one of Jet's basses (the earliest?) actually bore the Besson logo on the chromed pickguard, because this UK company imported them alongside Dallas during the late 1950s/early 1960s and marketed them under their own name to avoid(?) confusion. Just to complicate matters further, Besson also sold the same Framus models under the Aristone banner. I have numerous catalogues showing the various versions of the Star bass, plus a few shots of Jet with his different examples. I helped Colin Pryce-Jones with his Antoria restoration and would be happy to similarly oblige with your Star bass project.
dusty fretz

Postby '59BASSMAN » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:10 am

Hi Paul,

How bizarre to finally meet in cyberspace after working on the Antoria joint venture over the past three years! If you send me a PM with an email address I would be happy to send you a word document detailing what we actually did with all of the information and parts you generously donated to the project... the final piece of the jigsaw (the Antoria logo), is been engraved on the tail piece by Eddie Cross of Burns guitars fame sometime this week I believe.

The news that Jet used a Besson is fantastic as the instrument I managed to find in order to base the project on is in fact a Besson 5/150... (see the pictures of the instrument in the 'PRECISION ORIGINAL 62 PICKUP' link in the bass and bass players section). I have contacted the Framus museum and they have sent me a few useful links to vintage and re-issue parts, though the schematics and pickguard (template of/or actual item) appears to be the most elusive part. Thanks for the heads up on the Framus books... Father Christmas has taken note!

Your contribution to the Antoria project was most appreciated by all concerned and likewise your contribution to this project is equally appreciated.
Welcome 'aboard Paul!

Regards.
Mark.
'59BASSMAN

Postby dusty fretz » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:36 pm

Hi Mark,
PM duly sent as requested and I look forward to hearing from you.
dusty fretz

Postby '59BASSMAN » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi Paul,

many thanks for your prompt reply, PM recieved and e-mail with attachments sent.

Many thanks.

Mark.
'59BASSMAN

Return to Bass and Bass Players