Squier Jaguar basses

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Squier Jaguar basses

Postby Martyn » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:48 am

Spent some time yesterday trying both Jaguars but finally settled on the short scale version without active EQ onboard. In the shop I was trying them through a small'ish, but reasonably oomphy bass amp and although the longer necked Jag had more tonal options with the active EQ and was notably louder (and I preferred its warmer see-through shade of red to the glitzy Candy Apple of my final choice), I ignored the cosmetics and decided the simpler short scale version was more appropriate for my needs. I don't need lots of tones and have already set it up for a particularly deep and rounded sound that's easy to recall if I should twiddle a knob in error. A volume knob for each pickup and one tone knob - simple is sometimes better.

One advantage of the shorter neck/strings is a more punchy or tighter tone and a very full bass resonance at all fretboard positions, which the longer necked version sometimes missed. Without the active EQ, there's no battery to worry about going flat leaving the guitar silent and the weight balance is much better for my neck and back. There wasn't a huge difference, weight wise, but the shorter neck makes the guitar more like a standard strat in terms of balance and in simple terms it's easier for me to play and that's always an important feature of any guitar.

Tried it today through the Hartke Kickback amp and I loved its smooth sound. May change from the Fender .040 - .095 roundwounds it came with to an equivalent short scale flatwound set as I prefer flatties for their smoother tones and they're also less distressing on the pinkies - any suggestions as to which set to go for?

Our club's end of term bash is this Sunday so I'll be using the Squier Jag in some of our band sessions and we'll see how the neck and back cope with a long'ish event. :|

Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:23 pm

I'm a great lover of Thomastik for flatwounds, Martyn. They are well made, easy on the fingers and give a warm sound. They're described as "jazz" strings but don't let that deter you. They do a short scale version too. For more info, click the link

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/strings/bass_guitar/thomastik
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Jay Bass » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi Martyn
I too would go with thomastik Flats
i have tried most of the other makes, rotosound,Fender, La bella. D'addario, Ernie ball etc
but i always go back to the Thomastiks .
They have a really Nice deep tone and if you play finger style rather than plectrum they are not so high tension
as the other flats ive tried.
Regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby Martyn » Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks fellers - I'll give them a go.
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Previous