Squier Jaguar basses

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Squier Jaguar basses

Postby Martyn » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:54 am

In my endless quest for the ideal (for me - 5ft 6" & small hands) bass, I bought, played for a while, then sold an Epiphone Beatle Bass, then a Rostill Burns, then a Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz. The first was too dull and thuddy, the Burns nearly broke my back and shoulders - sounded great but way too heavy and big. Looked like it was wearing me . . . :P
The jazz was OK but again too heavy at 11lbs - less than the Burns but still a bit of a lump. I should have considered the weight before but in each case I tried them sitting on a stool in a shop and it's only when subsequently playing standing up for some time that I discovered how heavy they can become and with having to reach my left arm out at almost full stretch for the lower frets, it was my left shoulder and side of neck muscles that started to really hurt. :(

In my local shop yesterday I tried an Epiphone EB-0 because it was smaller and had a short scale neck. Much better for a 'vertically challenged' old bloke like me but it didn't sound right for the sort of music I like to play - thought it had rather a mundane nondescript tone. Interestingly there were two new ones on display - one cherry and one black and the red one was very slightly longer than the other. Maybe half an inch or so. Also the bouts were sharper tipped on the red one, the black example having more rounded points. Couldn't help but wonder how/why two apparently identical models actually weren't, assuming they're made using standard templates? :?

However I then spotted one of the new Squier Vintage Modified Jaguars in a clear red finish with black pickguard. Although having quite a long Jazz-type neck it was notably lighter (I think Agathis) than the Jazz and the neck was an absolute dream to play for my small hands. Tempted though I was, they're ordering in the short scale version for me to compare and I'll no doubt buy one or the other soon.

Just wondered if any of you had seen or tried these Jaguars and had any opinions or experiences of such models.

Cheers,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Re: Squier Jaguar basses

Postby Iain Purdon » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:42 am

Not as yet, that's interesting Martyn.

I know what you mean about the Burns weight, I sometimes gig with a Rostill and I sure know it by the end of the evening. The lightest bass I have is my Precision. Had you not solved your problem, I would have suggested a Squier P-bass Special, which is a Precision with the thinner Jazz neck, and a Jazz bridge pickup as well as the standard Precision pickup. However, this Jaguar looks like the same instrument but with the Jaguar body shape.

One of the guys who deps in our band when I can't do it has a Precision with a short scale neck and finds it pretty good.

If you do buy one of these Jags I'll be interested to hear what you think of it. The forums seem to speak well of it.

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby cockroach » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:07 am

Ideally, what you need is an old USA or Jap made Fender Mustang bass- small light body, short scale neck etc.

Or an old Fender Precision Lyte (Japan)- which is a full scale neck , but very slim, with a smaller lighter P-bass style body...my wife used one in our band, as did a number of other lady bass players I have seen here in South Australia... :)

Those Epiphone/Gibson short scale EB models only seem to have one sound, but it's a good one! As indeed do the violin style Hofner basses....but then Paul McCartney always made his sound OK with his superb bass playing.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Bob Withrington » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:25 am

Hi Martyn,

I still have my orginal 1965 Hofner Violin Bass, which I used with The Foresters & The Visitors until 1969, when I went to live & work in Belgium and had to leave the band. I remember trying out a Precision Bass when I bought it and opted for the much lighter & great sounding Violin Bass.

I'll bring it along to the SWSC Christmas Party on the 11th December for you to try out.

Cheers,

Bob
Bob Withrington

Postby RUSSET » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi Martyn,
My brother, who plays bass in my band, has an Epi Viola bass, which he generally uses for practise & home. It is certainly a nice lightweight practical bass, but of course, a one trick pony. For live use with the band, he tends to use a Tokai EB3 ?, which is a an SG style bass with two pickups. It is also a medium scale bass. He also has a Bass Collection Speakeasy model which was active, but he has converted to passive, which is full scale. I prefer the sound of the Bass Collection which seems to have a more varied range of tones, & is very lightweight. Most reviews I have read on the Squier Vintage Modified Range have stated that they are not the best of their models. The new Squier Mustang bass does look rather nice & probably good value in a short scale bass, although I would guess it may be a rather headstock heavy bass & prone to tipping.
I myself have a Squier Classic Vibe '50s P.Bass which I love, as it is quite light for P.Bass & has excellent tone & quality of build. The Classic Vibe series is certainly the top of the Squier range for quality & value, but is of course more expensive than the other Squier ranges.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Martyn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:53 am

Thanks for the replies.

Iain - The Squier P-Bass Special is, as you say, probably much the same as the Jaguar and would have been on my list to check out had I not stumbled across the Jaguars. Having said that, finding one would be a problem as I've not seen one on display in any music shops so far. I've learnt that I need to try before I buy.

Cockroach - I was considering the Mustang and had seen a couple on eBay but needed to try one first - again none in the shops I frequent. The Precision Lytes do crop up occasionally on eBay but seem pretty rare and hold their price accordingly. When I tried the Epiphone EB0 I also tried the EB3, thinking the extra pickup could offer more tones but wasn't happy with its sound either.
Having owned an Epiphone Violin Bass (or 'Viola Bass' as they decided to name it) and found it limiting in its tonal options, I did wonder why I couldn't at least get the typically Beatles sound I'd hoped for but it was only after someone pointed out that Paul McCartney used a Rickenbacker bass for most of their later tracks that I really liked . . . :roll: . . .

Bob - I'd be keen to try it, if nothing else to see if the real thing actually sounds better than the Epiphone copy. There's also a chance I may not have the new bass in time for our party so again, would be much appreciated.

Tony - Mostly covered by my comments above, I think, apart from the Bass Collection guitars. Hopefully later this week I'll have tried the short scale Jaguar and will report back with the results of the comparisons.

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and suggestions.

Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Postby cockroach » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:47 am

Best of luck with finding a model to suit you Martyn.

Just one last thought....

A short scale bass will not usually give as deep and resonant a tone as a full scale bass....the shorty will always sound a bit chunky or thumpy- can't do much about that, it's physics - shorter string length to actually vibrate, really needs heavier strings to get good tension etc etc...bear this in mind when comparing the two types.

I have been playing bass almost as long as I've been playing guitar and having short dumpy fingers and arms, I understand how a full size job is tough to play and have across the shoulder for a 4 hour gig! I've had long and short scale types over the years, currently I have a reasonably lightweight Yamaha RBX 170- weight and neck size not too bad, but it's a long scale and a fair stretch...and old age, and the usual aches and pains still make it tiring to play on gigs..

Bill Wyman of the Stones also has always had the same problems of short arms and small hands, and he's been trying and using all types of basses (usually short scale types- including Fender Mustang bass) since he started playing!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Martyn » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:47 am

cockroach wrote:A short scale bass will not usually give as deep and resonant a tone as a full scale bass....the shorty will always sound a bit chunky or thumpy - can't do much about that, it's physics - shorter string length to actually vibrate, really needs heavier strings to get good tension etc etc...bear this in mind when comparing the two types.

I have been playing bass almost as long as I've been playing guitar and having short dumpy fingers and arms, I understand how a full size job is tough to play and have across the shoulder for a 4 hour gig! I've had long and short scale types over the years, currently I have a reasonably lightweight Yamaha RBX 170- weight and neck size not too bad, but it's a long scale and a fair stretch...and old age, and the usual aches and pains still make it tiring to play on gigs..

Bill Wyman of the Stones also has always had the same problems of short arms and small hands, and he's been trying and using all types of basses (usually short scale types- including Fender Mustang bass) since he started playing!

Hi John,

Yes - the one thing I was bothered about was whether a shorter scale neck would still give me depth of tone, which is why I'll be making the direct comparison between the two Jaguars. Having said that, I did feel the Jazz's open E was a tad rattly rather than deep, if that makes sense. Don't tend to use an open E that much but I was hoping a shorter scale's E might be a bit fuller because of the tighter/shorter tension, so a thumpier heavy sound might be a useful side effect. Strangely the Epiphone Viola bass I owned displayed the same rather rattly and not very deep or well defined open E too, which is interesting. Both this and the Jazz were fitted with flatwounds so I would have anticipated these should contribute towards a fuller, more rounded tone.
One of our club members has, I believe, that same Yamaha and it has a very pleasant rounded and deep tone - just wish I could get my mind to accept that body shape with the extended horn :|

If the Jaguars don't perform as I'd hoped, the Mustang was my next guitar to investigate. I'm told the second Jaguar should be in the shop by Wednesday so will report back after I've compared them.

Thanks for the advice and help - much appreciated.

Regards,
Martyn
Martyn

Postby Bob Withrington » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Hi Martyn,

Looking forward to seeing the "Jaguar" on Sunday.

Bob
Bob Withrington

Postby JimN » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:41 pm

Anyone with their heart set on a Mustang Bass might want to check out:

http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53032

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Next

Return to Bass and Bass Players