Mexican P bass

For any discussion about bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Mexican P bass

Postby jase » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:32 pm

My son is after a second hand P Bass and found one he likes. Its a Mexican and I think its about 8 years old and priced at £359. To me it seems to be a lot for a second hand one but I don't play bass and have no idea of market values. I would just add that it is from a shop so I don't expect E bay prices but I don't want him to pay over the odds for one. Any help would be appreciated.
jase

Full Real Name: jason hill

Re: Mexican P bass

Postby RUSSET » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:59 pm

Hi Jase,
You are right to be suspicious of the price. Although a brand new Mex Standard P. Bass would cost around £450, if it is 8 years old, it would probably have cost around £300-350 when it was new. I would say don't pay more than 50-60% of than 'New' price. Mex Standard range instruments are plentiful in the new & 2nd hand markets. Also, get your son to check out the 'Squier by Fender' Classic Vibe range & Vintage Modified range of P Basses. These are equally as good as the Mexico ranges & only cost up to around £320 for a brand new bass.

Cheers, Tony.
RUSSET

Postby jase » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:15 pm

Hi Tony

Many thanks for your thoughts. I have tried to steer him towards a classic vibe but being 17 years old and a music technology student Squiers don't carry the respect needed of his peers. I'm a fan of the classic vibes and have a Simon Neil signature model that is far better than my Mex standard Strat.
jase

Postby Jay Bass » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:18 pm

Hi
its certainly not over priced considering its from a music shop
a new standard precision is about £450 new as Tony mentioned.
they dont lose much value ,if its in good overall condition
you could probaby find a better deal if you are prepared to look around.
but if your son has tried it and likes the look and feel of it, then try and haggle a bit with shop.

regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby jase » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 am

Thanks Jay. We have tried a lot of Basses and this is the one he feels is the best so I guess I'm going to find out how good a haggler I am.
jase

Postby jase » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:01 pm

Just to update, he ended up getting a new Mex P bass. Although we were offered about £35 off the shops price for the second hand one, I couldn't help thinking he would be better off in terms of value with a new one. So somehow I've ended up putting a £100 to his money and now he has a new one.
jase

Postby Iain Purdon » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:10 pm

Heartwarming!
Hope he enjoys playing it :)
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Return to Bass and Bass Players