Jet Harris's Studio Bass Amplifier

For anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Pepe Rush and Mo Foster

Postby dave robinson » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:44 am

abstamaria wrote:Dave, many thanks for the detailed information. But what is a "Pepe Rush" cab? Is that a brand or a person? I Googled the term and nothing turned up. Remember I'm several thousand miles away!

I had never heard of Mo Foster too, but there is information on him on the Web. I must try to get a copy of the book yup refer to.

I hope someone is writing down all this information. So much was lost when the old forum dissolved.

Andy

'I imagined that 'Pepe Rush' was the name of a person who built gear back then , but I'm the same as you I just read it. Interesting stuff though. Perhaps Mo Foster could throw more light on that one. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Jet Harris's Studio Bass Amplifier

Postby JimN » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:27 am

Pepe Rush was an audio engineer based in London's West End, back in the 1950s and 1960s. There were only a few London luthiers and amp-men with accessible skills at the time. Guitar-makers included Emile Grimshaw and Dick Knight, with Ted Wallace and Pepe Rush well-known in the electronics field.

Pepe was immortalised in the second half of the sixties by the design and production of WEM's "Rush-Pep Box" (a fuzzbox - and see what they did there?).

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:05 am

JimN wrote:Pepe Rush was an audio engineer based in London's West End, back in the 1950s and 1960s. There were only a few London luthiers and amp-men with accessible skills at the time. Guitar-makers included Emile Grimshaw and Dick Knight, with Ted Wallace and Pepe Rush well-known in the electronics field.

Pepe was immortalised in the second half of the sixties by the design and production of WEM's "Rush-Pep Box" (a fuzzbox - and see what they did there?).

JN

Thanks for that Jim, I knew I could rely on you - I learn something every day. :thumbup:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby cockroach » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:24 pm

Thanks JIm!

IN 1967 I once hired a Vox AC30 for a gig as my own amp was u/s that weekend, and with the amp I also hired a red Watkins Rush Pep fuzz box unit.

It was very harsh sounding, one of those early fuzz boxes where you couldn't play chords, just single notes.

I never knew Pepe Rush perhaps designed it for WEM..?

I read somewhere that he was a Cockney Italian, like Joe Moretti was a Scots Italian!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Iain Purdon » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:23 pm

Is this cab the one that ended up as a rabbit hutch in Dave's (of Chas and...) garden?
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Re: Event

Postby GoldenStreet » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:37 am

abstamaria wrote:I should have been more clear. That photo at Abbey Road was subject of some discussion here a while back, and I think the consensus was that it was most likely taken on the day Apache was recorded, but during a break, not the recording itself. That seems plausible to me as Cliff is there, and he did play the tom-tom in the intro and outro of the piece. But if that's not Tony Meehan ...

I wish the Chinese drum (which they referred to as a "tam-tam") were in that photo!

Andy

I digressed, somewhat, in semi-jest! Clearly, there's no way of telling what was actually being played at the moment the picture was taken - possibly, Bruce was using his Jazzmaster at the time. Illuminating reading, though, about the technical aspects of Jet's set-up!

Bill :)
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Didier » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:06 pm

The big speaker enclosure (just behind Jet) is most likely an EMI built one, using a 15" Tannoy dual concentric speaker.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby dave robinson » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:44 pm

Didier wrote:The big speaker enclosure (just behind Jet) is most likely an EMI built one, using a 15" Tannoy dual concentric speaker.

Didier

I thought we had covered this;

According to reliable sources from people who were there at the time, it is understood that the big speaker enclosure is a Pepe Rush built cabinet housing an eighteen inch speaker - there's nothing 'most likely' about it.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Billyboygretsch » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:21 pm

He could have tried this beast 2x18" Cabinet !
Attachments
image.jpg
(53 KiB) Downloaded 11372 times
Billyboygretsch

Full Real Name: Bill Lovegrove

Previous

Return to Bass and Bass Players