Popularity of Hofner Basses - Question

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Popularity of Hofner Basses - Question

Postby donna plasky » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi, everyone. I was wondering if I could ask your opinion about something. It is not really Shadows-related, but it is a bass question -- and this is a unique opportunity for me to ask the question to people not living in the US, because I think I lack perspective because of where I live.

I was curious as to why, overall, is the Hofner violin bass not more popular...being that Sir Paul McCartney played one. The Strat is certainly popular because Hank plays one (and so do other artists). Perhaps I should explain that I am stating this as an opinion or observation...about the Hofner not being popular. Maybe I am wrong.

Thanks very much for any info or opinions you might be willing to share.

Kind regards,
Donna
donna plasky

Full Real Name: Donna Plasky

Re: Popularity of Hofner Basses - Question

Postby abstamaria » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:24 am

Hello, Donna,

I think you're right in that the guitar the regular bass guitarist would reach or pine for would not be a Hofner. I think that is because it looks old-fashioned, with its varnished, violin-shaped body, and is not quite consistent with the image a young rock bassist might want to project. It is also hollow, and fashion seems to favor solid-body guitars. It has its own voice, too, so musicians might not take the time to learn it.

Anna Treichler, who posts here, uses a Hofner (see the Hofner thread in this section). She used to play with a successful all-woman band that played "retro" music, which I think spanned the 50s through the 90s. She was using a solid bass guitar and after some years shifted to the Hofner pictured in that thread. The lead guitarist and drummer objected to the shift, saying the Hofner doesn't spound "right," use by Paul McCartney notwithstanding. Anna has stuck to the Hofner. She likes the weight, the shorter reach, and sound. It has actually made her stand out on stage, as the guitar looks unique in the sea of painted guitars. I was with her at one large concert with many bands, and tech crew and guitarists from other bands came over to look at the Hofner, treating it in very reverential manner.

I was just watching a documentary on the Beatles last night and noted that Paul McCartney began to use a solid-body guitar in later years with the Beatles. He of course then reverted to the Hofner, but it probably takes the self-assurance of a Paul McCartney to select something not in the usual mold.

My opinion only, probably completely wrong!

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby cockroach » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:20 pm

Because it is not an American instrument, and an industry standard versatile professional tool of trade like a Fender Precision Bass for example, but a relatively limited production European item, which mainly owes most of its popularity and familiarity to its use by Paul.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby JimN » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:45 pm

cockroach wrote:Because it is not an American instrument, and an industry standard versatile professional tool of trade like a Fender Precision Bass for example, but a relatively limited production European item, which mainly owes most of its popularity and familiarity to its use by Paul.

Hofner basses were indeed quite popular in the UK during the Beat and R&B Boom years, mainly because the average player couldn't afford Fenders or Gibsons which were 250% of the price of a typical Hofner or Framus.

But that is "popular" as an estate agent (real estate agent) might use the word, not "popular" as one might describe (say) The Beatles.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:35 pm

Was'nt the violin bass a Gibson originally and the Hofner being a copy?
I thought I read that somewhere

Must contact Mr Google on the subject :roll:
Bluesnote

Postby cockroach » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:38 am

Yes, probably copied by Hofner from a Gibson EB1 solid body violin shaped bass guitar which they brought out in about 1953- Little Richard's bass player used one in the film The Girl Can't Help It in 1957.

Why ask Mr Google? :lol:
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Derek Mowbray » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:48 pm

Here is an example of a group using cheaper guitars in their earlier days. Tony Jackson is using a Hofner violin bass .Mike Pender is using a Burns and John M`c Nally playing a Hofner. The Searchers in their early days had a very raw sound later they had a more refined sound using more expensive guitars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YRF9lmhJi4
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

Postby dave robinson » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:22 pm

I think that the Hofner Violin bass has been made so iconic by Macca that it puts some players off using them. I have one which I love playing because it's very easy to handle and great for recording compared to my P Bass which is for me very hard work, being a guitarist. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby JimN » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:53 pm

dave robinson wrote:I think that the Hofner Violin bass has been made so iconic by Macca that it puts some players off using them. I have one which I love playing because it's very easy to handle and great for recording compared to my P Bass which is for me very hard work, being a guitarist. :idea:

I think the Hofner Violin Bass looks a little odd when used right-handed. I recall the late Tony Jackson (original Searchers bassist) using one for a while, but abandoning it for an Epiphone Rivoli (which was THE aspirational bass in the Beat Boom days).

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby RUSSET » Fri May 04, 2012 7:46 am

The Violin Bass is also a shortscale bass with quite a narrow neck. These features do not always suit your average bass player. It also seems to be a one-trick pony in the tone department.

Tony.
RUSSET

Next

Return to Bass and Bass Players