Customshop "Hank Marvin" Precision Bass

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Customshop "Hank Marvin" Precision Bass

Postby abstamaria » Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:53 pm

My apologies for yet another photo of our band's bass guitar, but our old photos were left in the previous Shadowmusic site. So, for posterity, here's a variation on the theme, never before posted! It's a Fender Customshop "recreation" of a guitar that never existed - a 1959/60 Precision Bass in Fiesta Red, with gold hardware and flamed maple neck - a "Hank Marvin" PBass! We've strung it with flatwounds and usually play it through an Ampeg all-tube head and cabinet. We ordered and received it this year, just in time for our 1st show. Incidentally, it is the lightest of the 3 Fender bass guitars we've used.

Andy

abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Re: Customshop "Hank Marvin" Precision Bass

Postby Dranna » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:54 pm

Dear all,

After some time riding on my colleague Andy's membership, I have finally registered on my own. I have been playing bass for the Shadows cover band "Walking Shadow," which is part of the "Madeleine Cookie Company." I play bass for the company repertoire, using a Hofner '62 re-issue violin bass for the vocals, as noted in Andy's other post in this forum. For the Shadows' pieces in the company act, I use the Fiesta Red customshop Pbass pictured above.

We're now planning our shows for 2010, most likely 4 successive daily shows every four months or so (an easier schedule for us non-professional musicians with day jobs!). I am posting this picture, taken a two weeks ago, during practice. The sunburst is a 60th anniversary Pbass, also with flat-wounds. It's a bit more punchy than the customshop Pbass, which is to 1959-60 spec, mellower and, I think, sweeter. Andy tells me a sunburst is actually corect for "Apache" but the red customashop matches the lead guitar and so looks better on stage.

Not too many women on the forum, so I hope I am not intruding!

My best regards and a happy new year to all.

Anna
Manila

Last edited by Dranna on Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dranna

Postby panchodiaz » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:15 pm

Welcome to the site Anna. It´s nice to have a new bassist here. Happy New Year for you and the band.

BTW my grandmother was from Philippines.

Best regards,
Pancho
panchodiaz

Full Real Name: Francisco Diaz Paniagua

Postby des mcneill » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:49 pm

Hi Anna,
Welcome to the site,hope you enjoy it. Do you keep the "ash-trays" on the red Precision when you play?
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby Dranna » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:25 am

Hi Pancho!

It's good to be able to chat with other bassists through this site. What a coinicidence, my grandfather is from Spain (Murcia and Toledo).

Regards!
Anna
Dranna

Postby Dranna » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:37 am

Hi Des!

Yes, I do keep the "ashtray" on when I play. I contemplated removing it but decided it was just too pretty. It also makes the guitar look more vintage.

But it does take some getting used to. I hadn't played with a pick for a long time, and of course had to relearn for the Shadows pieces. I find that resting my hand on the cover makes it a bit easier for me.

I know that removing the "ashtray" is the current practice. Do you think I should remove it?

I'm sure I'll enjoy the site and learn a lot.

Regards!
Anna
Dranna

Postby des mcneill » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi Anna,
I play with the "ash-trays" still on my basses,that's the way I learnt a long time ago and still mostly use a plectrum. However,it takes all sorts and whatever suits you best,- I personally like the vintage look of the guitar,- I do however use flatwound strings.
Cheers,
Des.
des mcneill

Postby abstamaria » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:30 am

Too bad Jet's hand in the period photo Alan posted in "Apache Speculation (viewtopic.php?t=1020) covers the pick-up. I wonder whether in the early days Jet kept the "ashtray" on as well.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby Dranna » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:15 pm

Hi Des!

Thank you. I am encouraged by the fact that you keep the "ashtray" on your guitar, and so I will do the same. In fact, I will check if the sunburst Pbass came with a cover, and if so I might attach it too.

Regards!
Anna
Dranna

Postby des mcneill » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:51 pm

abstamaria wrote:Too bad Jet's hand in the period photo Alan posted in "Apache Speculation (viewtopic.php?t=1020) covers the pick-up. I wonder whether in the early days Jet kept the "ashtray" on as well.

Andy

Hi Andy,
Jet certainly did keep the "ash-tray" on when he played with the Shads. In fact I was lucky enough to back Jet at a gig last year and he played my bass,"ash-trays" and all.
Des.
des mcneill

Next

Return to Bass and Bass Players