Customshop "Hank Marvin" Precision Bass

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Apache

Postby abstamaria » Tue May 10, 2011 9:48 am

It is hard to see whether or not the ashtray was on in that video. But what is interesting is that Jet was not using a plectrum, but rather was using his thumb. Did Jet actually not use a plectrum on Apache? If so, our bassist will be happy.

This is of course a staged version of Apache, with the recorded piece synched I think, and not an ideal reference (the use of the Jazzmaster, for instance). But Hank also seems to either switch pickups or adjust the volume control for the middle muted section.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Re: Customshop "Hank Marvin" Precision Bass

Postby cockroach » Tue May 10, 2011 12:17 pm

Well, Bruce WAS using the Jazzmaster at that time so it's not a case of him just posing with a guitar he didn't use I suppose.

People didn't modify their gear much back then, as folk do these days..if Fender put on the bridge cover and the chrome hand rest on their basses, most people lucky enough to own and use them didn't muck about with them- it was presumed that they knew what they were doing when they designed them and that there was a good reason for these fittings to be there...and Fenders were certainly always designed as practical instruments for working musicians.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Re: Apache

Postby JimN » Tue May 10, 2011 2:58 pm

abstamaria wrote:This is of course a staged version of Apache, with the recorded piece synched I think, and not an ideal reference (the use of the Jazzmaster, for instance). But Hank also seems to either switch pickups or adjust the volume control for the middle muted section.
Andy

The "use" of controls on the guitar may just have just been a way of drawing attention to the electric nature of the guitar (still a new concept to many people at the time).

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby Iain Purdon » Tue May 10, 2011 5:21 pm

I'm sorry, fellas, I was actually attempting a weak joke about Jet and the cigarette at the end...... :oops:
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby des mcneill » Tue May 10, 2011 5:34 pm

Iain_P wrote:I'm sorry, fellas, I was actually attempting a weak joke about Jet and the cigarette at the end...... :oops:

Hi Iain,
I must admit I wondered if it was a windup ! George,even with the sunburst bass Jet still used the ashtray. Andres, I wouldn't go by this vid,- although Jet occasionally used his thumb on the odd mellow Cliff number,I have never seen him do so on Apache,but anything is possible.
Des.
des mcneill

Full Real Name: des mcneill

Postby JimN » Tue May 10, 2011 7:57 pm

Iain_P wrote:I'm sorry, fellas, I was actually attempting a weak joke about Jet and the cigarette at the end...... :oops:

It didn't go over my head, but I decided not to intervene...
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby abstamaria » Wed May 11, 2011 4:06 pm

I fell for that one. But thanks Des. Andres
abstamaria

Postby Iain Purdon » Thu May 12, 2011 7:01 pm

I believe the bridge cover and pickup guards were left on all Shadows P-basses right up to the change to Burns ... and Jet normally played with a pick.

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

On Stage: Customshop "Hank Marvin" Precision Bass

Postby abstamaria » Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:30 pm

In case bass players don't go to the sound files section, here is a link I just posted there. In the first seconds of the video, Anna (who posts on Shadowmusic) shows off the "Hank Marvin" bass. The show is supposedly set in period, so Anna says her bass guitar is "brand new."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU4DfWQBiUo

Andy
abstamaria

Postby Dranna » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Yes, that's me with the Hank Marvin Precision bass, pick-up cover and all. I hope you enjoy it.
Dranna

PreviousNext

Return to Bass and Bass Players