PRECISION ORIGINAL 62 PICKUPS

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

PRECISION ORIGINAL 62 PICKUPS

Postby Jay Bass » Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi
As anyone Tried the fender Original 62 precision pick up
i am looking to put a set on my mex precision,TO see if there Is a difference between these and the stock ones supplied with the bass
whatever they maybe?
have you seen any deals or bargains anywhere for these pickups ,before i go and pay top whack for them?

all the best
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Re: PRECISION ORIGINAL 62 PICKUPS

Postby bassboogie » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Hi Jay,

You may be lucky enough to find 62 pick ups. If you can't then I would suggest a word with Bare Knuckle who will rewind your Mex pickups to 62 or close spec. I have them on my Mex P bass and the Bare Knuckle pups are different to the Mex and seem to give you a nice mellow bottom end (with flatwounds and fingers). Once you turn on the treble, however, there is no real difference. If you are looking for that mellow driving bass you hear on the Jet Harris recordings, I still can't figure out how he produced such a gorgeous sound using a pick (both early Shads and Cliff backings). I think Nathan Hulse from the Rapiers gets closest to that Jet sound and it may also be worth having a word with Nathan.

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby '59BASSMAN » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:20 am

Hi Jay,

send me a private message with an address and I will send you a set of '62 re-issue pots and capacitor that I took out of a Fender American vintage '62 re-issue... I replaced the pickup with a Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickup... as I did for Alan Jones' Precision. I can recommend the Seymour Duncan SPB-1 Vintage precision pickup which is cheaper than the Fender pickup and is voiced to recreate the late 50's Precision sound... like Jets' sunburst '59 Precision! However, as Luigi notes, Nathan has stock '62 re-issue pickups in his fiesta red Precision and they do a great job. Have a look at the link below for the pickups... the Fender ones are out of stock at the moment but they constantly re-stock.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/middle_bass.htm

Let me know.

Mark.
'59BASSMAN

Postby Jay Bass » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:19 pm

Hi Mark
Thank you I have sent You a pm
Regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Postby Jay Bass » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:22 pm

'59BASSMAN wrote:Hi Jay,

send me a private message with an address and I will send you a set of '62 re-issue pots and capacitor that I took out of a Fender American vintage '62 re-issue... I replaced the pickup with a Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickup... as I did for Alan Jones' Precision. I can recommend the Seymour Duncan SPB-1 Vintage precision pickup which is cheaper than the Fender pickup and is voiced to recreate the late 50's Precision sound... like Jets' sunburst '59 Precision! However, as Luigi notes, Nathan has stock '62 re-issue pickups in his fiesta red Precision and they do a great job. Have a look at the link below for the pickups... the Fender ones are out of stock at the moment but they constantly re-stock.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/middle_bass.htm

Let me know.

Mark.

Hi Mark
The pots Have arrived thumbup:
Thank You very much
i ordered a genuine fender precision pick up from the u.s.a.
saved £22 by getting them to mail it to me, (crazy).
just awaiting its arrival ,before i fit all the bits.
il let you know when its all done
Regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Postby '59BASSMAN » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:24 pm

Hi Jay,

glad the pots have arrived... and excellent deal on the pickups as well! I have good news on the Framus front... my old man has just won one on eBay! I've been looking for years and one just turns up! Anyway, that will be the next restoration project. Let us all know what you think of the sound of your new pickups when you get it all wired up.
Cheers.

Mark.
'59BASSMAN

Postby Jay Bass » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:01 pm

glad the pots have arrived... and excellent deal on the pickups as well! I have good news on the Framus front... my old man has just won one on eBay! I've been looking for years and one just turns up! Anyway, that will be the next restoration project. Let us all know what you think of the sound of your new pickups when you get it all wired up.
Cheers.

Mark.

Hi
i have finaly got round to changing the pickups , pots & wiring which Mark kindly sent me.
so now i have a standard mex precision fiesta red / rosewood
i have changed the scratch plate from gold to toirtoise shell
fitted a Badass bridge,changed the pickups to original 62,s, wiring and pots from a 62 re-issue
i have fitted Thomastik flatwounds, il give it a couple of gigs and let you know of any improvements in the sound.

Mark - how is the framus coming along any pics yet.?
Jay Bass

Postby '59BASSMAN » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:57 am

Hi Jay,

Excellent news with the Precision... I have yet to try the Tomastik strings, I would be interested to hear from anybody that has compared them with La Bella flatwounds. It would be great to get a picture of your bass now that you have modified it... I hope that you have better luck than I do posting a picture as I have tried several times and failed miserably! What size neck do the Mexican basses have... fat, thin, V or C???

With regards to the Framus I have yet to collect it from my old man... the pictures that he has sent me look very promising and several sources have contacted me regarding the pickguard and pickups so that too looks promising, I hope to get started on it in the new year... in fact as my old man posts pictures on this site on a regular basis I shall ask him to post some on the Framus bass link... shadows community spirit and all that!

Cheers.

Mark.
'59BASSMAN

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:12 am

Hi Jay. Here are a couple of pictures showing the bass as I receved it.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby Jay Bass » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:45 pm

Excellent news with the Precision... I have yet to try the Tomastik strings, I would be interested to hear from anybody that has compared them with La Bella flatwounds. It would be great to get a picture of your bass now that you have modified it... I hope that you have better luck than I do posting a picture as I have tried several times and failed miserably! What size neck do the Mexican basses have... fat, thin, V or C???

With regards to the Framus I have yet to collect it from my old man... the pictures that he has sent me look very promising and several sources have contacted me regarding the pickguard and pickups so that too looks promising, I hope to get started on it in the new year... in fact as my old man posts pictures on this site on a regular basis I shall ask him to post some on the Framus bass link... shadows community spirit and all that!

Cheers.

Mark.

Hi Mark
i will post some pics of my precision when i get a bit of time.
The Neck on the mex Precision Is very comfortable, i think you would call it a C profile ?
The width at the nut is approx 4cm which is exactly the same as my burns rostill.
i think from what i can remember the Jazz bass necks are slightly Slimmer than the precision.
with regards to strings, i think Nathan from the Rapiers uses La bella and he gets a great sound
i like the Thomastiks they are the same as the set used by pino palladino on his sig bass
but next time i change them i may try a slightly heavier gauge la bella flats,i cant remember which gauge Nathan uses
The Jamerson set Seem to be really heavy, perhaps the Standard set would be Better?
i would be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried the labella strings also.
keep us all updated with the progress on the Framus
i have a rehearsal on Friday & gig on saturday, i will use the precision and see if i notice any difference
with the new pickups etc at full gigging volume>

Regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Next

Return to Bass and Bass Players