PRECISION ORIGINAL 62 PICKUPS

Anything to do with bass guitars, bass players and other bass related subjects

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: PRECISION ORIGINAL 62 PICKUPS

Postby '59BASSMAN » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:40 am

Hi Jay,
Nathan does use the La Bella 0760M 'Jamerson' set... as I do and Jet did when I worked for him... they are fantastic strings and feel and sound great... I can highly recommend the Jamerson set and the slightly lighter gauge La Bella 0760FM which are 49-109. If you want to replicate what Jet used, then go with the Jamerson set... if you want to replicate what Jet does with the Jamerson set, then use the lighter 0760FM as the lighter gauge allows you to dig in as Jet does... unless of course you are like Jet and have a heavy technique and hammer every note with 110% effort!
Having always been happy with the LaBella strings I was finding it difficult to justify the extra cost of trying the Thomastik strings, a decision not made any easier by the number bass players who rate them both very highly! Though I suppose I will have to take the plunge sometime.
I will keep you posted on the Framus front... though if it is anything like the Antoria it is a VERY slow process.
All the best.
Mark.
'59BASSMAN

Postby Jay Bass » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi
I used The precision for a rehearsal on friday & a gig on saturday
very noticable difference in the tone and clarity, a much fuller defined sound with the new fender pickups etc
even the 2 guitarist i play with commented on the nice tone .
so very pleased with the changes, i am now just going to try a heavier gauge string
the Thomastiks are 43-100, thought about la bella jamerson 52 - 110
but instead i am going to try D' addario chrome Flats 50-105 the same as on the burns rostill.
my reasoning is i love the sound and feel of the burns,and if it doesnt work for me on the precision
at least i have another new set of strings for the burns.i will then try the la bella strings?
watch this space!

regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby bassboogie » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi Jay,

Nathan from the Rapiers, if I'm correct, uses the Jamie Jamerson La Bellas. They're 105 (E). I've recently changed to Thomastics (100 guage E). The JJ La Bellas give a much thicker sound (with fingers), but for me they tend to be a bit "boomy" with a Vox AC30. Even with an Ampeg (which I use for giging, BA 600, 115 combo) you need to turn up treble and mids in to reduce the boom. I think JJ used a valve Ampeg. The Thomastics, to my mind, are fantastic, you can get a nice mellow bottom end without having to dial in treble and mids, they are brighter, better definition, but mellow. The Thomastics seem much lighter and the only downside, which is my own fault really, is more ringing and I need to damp more with the Thomastics to stop the open strings joining in ! Interesting the latest Bass Guitar (Jan issue) has an article on Jaco Pastorius (I admire him but would not dare attempt, only in my bedroom with the doors closed) and certainly in his early days he used smaller guage La Bellas.
I imagine that the JJ La Bellas are better if you play with a pick, which I am now trying to with little success, but for me as a finger player the Thomastics seem better.
I would be very interested to know whether you play with full bass tone on the bass and what your amp tone settings are generally (aside from whacking up the treble for Kon Tiki and 36-240-36)
May I wish all the bottom enders a Merry Xmas and all you wish for in the New Year and look forward to hopefully meeting up sometime (fingers X'd it's Shadowmania)

Kind regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby bassboogie » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:40 pm

Hi again,

Sorry just checked the Jaco article (Jan Bass mag) and he used heavy gauge La Bellas in his early days. How do you get that "pop pop" sound and harmonics with those ? Must be down to tone controls on bass and amp.

Regards, Luigi
bassboogie

Full Real Name: Luigi Ciapparelli

Postby Jay Bass » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:01 pm

bassboogie wrote:Hi Jay,

I would be very interested to know whether you play with full bass tone on the bass and what your amp tone settings are generally (aside from whacking up the treble for Kon Tiki and 36-240-36)
M

Kind regards, Luigi

Hi Luigi
I usualy Play with the volume And tone full up on the Bass, i get a nice deep tone Without all the mid Mudiness
add a bit of Treble and play most of the Time With Fingers, but i do use a pick for certain tracks
Kon tiki, peace pipe, 36 24 36 , i dont realy adjust the sound if using the precision i find just using a pick And
damping the strings with your hand gives great results.
if i am using The Burns Bass i do Select The Bridge & middle Pickup For a more percussive Sound on Kon tiki etc
And tend To use The neck and middle pickup for most tracks played with the fingers.
A Happy new year.
Regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Postby Jay Bass » Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:56 am

the Thomastiks are 43-100, thought about la bella jamerson 52 - 110
but instead i am going to try D' addario chrome Flats 50-105 the same as on the burns rostill.
my reasoning is i love the sound and feel of the burns,and if it doesnt work for me on the precision
at least i have another new set of strings for the burns.i will then try the la bella strings?
watch this space!

Didnt Like The D 'addarios on the precision, Too Bright for me.
so i guess Il put the thomastiks Back on For now And maybe try a set of la Bella
Oh well at least ive got a spare set of new strings For the burns afterall.

Jay
Jay Bass

Previous

Return to Bass and Bass Players